Vandersteen Forum

I bought an older pair of Vandersteen 2Ce and did not like them. Found out one woofer was crackling (what I did not like was poor tweeter and midrange). I went onto the Vandersteen forum to see if changing a component or two would better the sound than 25 year old speakers. In 2022 almost anyones speakers sound better than 25 year old Vandersteen technology. 
The replies raised my eyebrows. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with that forum and did they find it cult-like or is it just me?

128x128geworthomd

Hey bkeske.....you seem a bit touchy.....if you have a system on which you have spent 2 dollars ....you are approaching a million dollar system.  If you actually read what I wrote it was complimentary to the Vandersteen brand.

No, I’m the opposite of ‘touchy’. I tried the best I could to help @geworthomd on the Vandy forum. Others did as well.

Not really worth my time but…….of course we are enthusiasts on the Vandy forum. Most of us seek to learn and help  most of the time, but not always..because we are after all just human, do get gruff.

Lets get somebody’s back and brain back into alignment… How does it go “ physician heal thyself “.

Lets start with 2022 Magnet size…. Here its a bit helpful to have actually paid some attention in Electrical Engineering class. Wondering what’s more important? Guass in the gap or magnet size, or those mysterious Thiele small parameters ? Wondering how that jacked magnet works with a filter network w antitanking and driver resonance control features. Also wondering how those 2022 woofers work with the acoustic coupler ? A mass loaded narrow bandwidth active driver acoustic couple is a pretty rare bird. Not something a catalog engineer will come across often… How will those jacked magnet 2022 woofer blend with the all important midrange driver in a design that pays special and costly attention to time alignment?

Lets be brutally frank, you couldn’t even find the RMA form or sock replacement links and videos on the website.

You got excellent advice; Fill out RMA and send it along w damaged or suspect driver to Vandersteen for repair. Get repaired driver back, setup 2’s per the manual and evaluate sonics. If they are not your cup of tea, sell them.

You got some blunt feedback about what you paid for your 2’s, got your manliness offended round the campfire….and are now here…whining…

Audiogon ; What would you make of a pair of Vandy 2ce on Ebay for $3k and $1k shipping ? Not many valuation arguments to be won round the campfire citing that…

It was hardly WW3…. 

But……sure, i am a cult member…no wait, i guess it’s cults plural.

Quad, Thiel, ATC, Apogee, Totem, ARC, NAIM, Brinkmann, HRS, Aesthetix, Lyra, Triplaner, McIntosh ( 1961 ), Herron

well at least not at the Elk and Pheasant and Steelhead campfires i frequent…

oh yes and Vandersteen, just two pair and the amazing liquid cooled hybrid tube and solid state high pass M7 amplifier…

@bkeske God, i hope my wife doesn’t read this thread, i’m not even close to point five $ M

"In 2022 almost anyones speakers sound better than 25 year old Vandersteen technology."

I guess I should have known we might be dealing with a bulb that is not the brightest on the Christmas tree.