Can moving wire location at circuit breaker reduce hum?

The power line going into my music room will oftentimes make the amps’ transformers hum.  I’ve tried many things but have had no luck.  If I take any component that’s humming into a different room run on a different circuit breaker, the hum disappears.

Would swapping out the wires that go into the two separate rooms at the breaker make any difference?  Or is it more likely that one of the outlets on the circuit that goes into my music room is somehow miswired and is causing the hum?  I can unplug everything from the circuit except for my amp and it still hums.

Any suggestions on what I might be able to do short of hiring someone to run a dedicated line?

Thanks,

Mamoru

128x128audiodwebe

I would start by getting a big heavy extension cord.  Use the cord to try different outlets.  Before you set about to fix the problem be sure you are fixing the right problem.

Cheap power outlets are plentiful out there. From way back when, I change out every outlet in the house with pro grade Leviton outlets. Same with switches. I have even had to change out some breakers because they can become weak with age.

Even if the particular outlet that your amp is plugged into has no trouble, it is in a chain of outlets, one connected to the next.

Having said this, I don’t think that there will be the described trouble from the outlets themselves, but you may discover some ’interesting wiring’ along the way.

In reference to part of your original question, "Would changing breaker positions closer to the main breaker make a difference?" That is a seldom asked question yet an interesting one. Having worked for Ma Bell in the central telephone office, this was a consideration, at least at the ground buss. We were working with negative 48 volt DC, so this might be apples and oranges in a way. The ’switch’ room, which was the brains of call connections, had it’s very own buss and power for that matter. The intention here was all about noise and circuit protection, but I wonder if the same might be said with AC.

Lastly, I would like to mention the idea of a dedicated circuit for your system. I would agree about running the wire yourself, with at least one thing in mind. The path chosen for the run should ideally be it’s own, not to be shared with other runs or existing wiring (to save some drilling).

Please keep us informed as to what you find as an answer.

@ptss - Yes, unless it starts to hum instead. 😁 The output of a transformer is going to lack DC, eliminating the hum from your amp but it may just move the problem to the Equitech.

The reason DC causes physical humming is because of the laminations in the transformer. Of course, some transformers are more susceptible than others, but none are 100% immune.

My point is just that if this is significant the OP should do everything possible to eliminate the root cause first.

Knowing whether one side of the bus has a larger DC bias relative to the other would be a great place to start.
Without knowing why it is difficult to address the solution to the problem.

My point is just that if this is significant the OP should do everything possible to eliminate the root cause first.

So personally, I would reword ^that^ to”

The OP should do everything possible to determine the root cause first.