Scratch - The Crusaders

You’ve all had an album that changed your thoughts on music.  For me it was Scratch by The Crusaders.  Care to share?

djtalsky
Post removed 

was taught how to listen to jazz in my freshman year of college, where my assigned roommate was a music major, young saxophonist - over our 8-9 months sharing the room, he started me with chuck mangione, george benson, bob james... eventually we got all the way into bird, trane, joe pass, oscar peterson, miles, dex, abbey lincoln and the rest, was a truly formative period in my becoming a lifelong jazz fan, supporting the art form etc...

the crusaders, scratch, southern comfort, chain reaction, southern knights, were a big part of that journey... larry carlton joining really injected a new energy into the group, but wilton felder and joe sample were consistently the leading voices and artistic anchors....

...many fond memories - will listen to some of this again tonight!  thanks for the prompt....🤗

Nice post. My journey with Crusaders started with unsung heroes and chain reaction in mid seventies. I added most of their albums over the years but bought an original mint US scratch vinyl just a couple weeks ago. Awesome music AND sound, especially for live! Crusaders just resonates with me as well as any band even so I'm caucasian.

I have the beat!

I also dicovered the Crusaders with the Chain Reaction LP.  Have a dozen or more of thier discs in my collection.  Particulary fond of the opening tract on Rural Renewal (2003, Eric Clapton on acoustic guitar).  Was just listening to Larry Carlton's Renegade Gentleman.  Been a fan of his since the days with The Crusaders.  Rendgade seems to finally shows that he can really tear it up, given the chance.