Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records

FYI, I have previously posted a bit of information on cleaning, and I have now complied that and much more into a paper titled “Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records”. Bill Hart of The Vinyl Press https://thevinylpress.com/ who has a keen interest in cleaning vinyl records is hosting the paper. He has written an article on the paper that captures it better than I could, and a link to the article that has the free-download load option for the paper (85 pages) is here: https://thevinylpress.com/precision-aqueous-cleaning-of-vinyl-records/ . If you have not been to his site, check-it out, there is a lot of good info, and its well written. While at his site, check out the about-tab and then scroll down and click on System-Notes-Austin-2017. He has a pretty impressive system and near the end shows quite a ‘cleaning station’; using both a Keith Monks vacuum-RCM and KL Audio UCM.

Best Regards and Stay Well,

Neil

antinn

@robjordan,

Rob,

Dehypon LS54 is a just a pure nonionic surfactant, and relatively mild.  For pre-clean you want a more aggressive cleaner.  See what is written Table II.  A top quality liquid, machine clothes detergent that is not colored (no dyes), unscented (no fragrance) and contains no anti-bacterial agents can be a very effective pre-cleaner, but you want to buy the best you can get since the cheaper versions have a lot of fillers and other junk.  Prepare as specified Chapter III - there is a specific section of III.AU/EU/UK Prepare the CLEANER Spray (or Wash) Bottles:

Good Luck,

Neil

Thanks, I read your suggestion of laundry detergent, but my difficulty is that it leaves a lot to interpretation, especially as someone who is not au fait with the ingredients. Ecover Zero appears to meet your description, and it does state a list of ingredients. I wonder if you could have a look and see if you think it would be suitable?

https://www.ecover.com/products/zero/zero-laundry-liquid/

Ingredients:

Aqua, Sodium lauryl sulfate, Laureth-7, Alcohol denat., Potassium oleate, Sodium citrate, Tetrasodium glutamate diacetate, Bio poly ethyleneglycol propyleneglycol oligo ester, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide

@robjordan,

Rob, 

The Ecover Zero Non Bio is a good product.  I was able to locate this SDS Ecover-Laundry-Liquid-Zero-Non-Bio-Laundry-Liquid-COSSH-Sheet.pdf and it mostly supports what their site is listing for ingredients.  

Essentially as a cleaner it's a combination of non-ionic and anionic surfactants and the combination non-ionic and anionic surfactants are what it is doing the cleaning.  They are using environmentally safe and biodegradable surfactants.   Once diluted in use the ethanol (denatured alcohol likely with isopropanol) does not do much; its often added to help with solubilizing other ingredients in concentrates. There is a chelating agent that all basic detergents have to allow use with hard-water.  Otherwise, the citric acid and sodium hydroxide are used to adjust the pH, and the SDS shows pH = 8.6 which is near neutral and in-use will be very near neutral pH.

Based on the concentrations specified in the SDS, when using the product for manual cleaning dilute 10-mL/L.  

Note:  For those in the US, Ecover sells a ZERO Laundry Detergent but it is a very different product - Ecover Laundry_93oz_Zero_CA Disclosure_012220 (netdna-ssl.com) with upwards of 28 ingredients.  

Good Luck,

Neil

Neil

Thanks for looking at the Ecover Zero Non bio. It's very reassuring to have your thumbs up.

Now for the acid stage, I see that  - in the absence of Citranox - you suggest supermarket distilled vinegar diluted 50/50 or 75/25 with distilled water, with an additional few drops of wetting agent. Is the Dehypon ok to use as wetting agent in this mix?

As an alternative to vinegar, is worth considering a solution made up from pure citric acid crystals which are easily obtained here?

Thank you,

Rob

@robjordan 

Rob,

Yes, the Dehypon is ok to use as wetting agent in this mix.

As far as the crystalline citric acid, this is where I stop.  I am not getting into the formulating of products.  The DWV + some drops of a nonionic surfactant wetting agent is as far as I go.  5% DWV is not the same as 5% citric acid, the citric acid is a stronger acid so you use less.  Exactly how much less, can be calculated and then you into weight measurement which then further complicates the process - all more than I am willing to do.  You could pose the problem at some chemistry forums and see what they would recommend to equal the acidity of 5% DWV and then dilute as specified.

Neil