ifi iPhono 3 "Black Label" Anyone?

Curious to hear your early impressions of the new iPhono3 Black Label.

A review sample arrived here Friday (6/12/2020) and I'm still getting some hours on the unit before doing any critical listening, but first impressions are of a real punchy, dynamic unit that will hopefully bloom as I get more miles on the clock.
For $995 it already sounds like it's going to be competitive with units a couple of rungs up the ladder. I just got done with an initial review and a quickly thrown together youtube vid, if anyone's interested. - 
https://audioresurgence.com/2020/06/ifi-iphono-3-black-label-phono-review-first-look.html
https://youtu.be/3ONQLwf9zVk

I owned the iPhono2 for a while and it was pretty good. It'll be interesting to hear how good the "Black Label" sounds at the 400-hour mark and also what other folks think of it.

Speak up!

Rooze
128x128rooze

Hi audiofun,

Now that you've had sometime with the iZen phono, would you say yhat the iPhono3 is better or vice versa. 

Also have you tried the iPower X and Elite with the iZen phono?

The iPhono 3 is better than the Zen but the Zen is quite remarkable. I think (working from memory :) the Zen sounds better than the iPhono 2. 

I would suggest the iPhono 3 for high resolution systems with top of the range surrounding components including table and cartridge as its price certainly does not limit its use to cost comparable components. I once  used it with a Koetsu Onyx Platinum to great effect. Also if you need the last degree of cartridge loading adjustability, go with the iPhono 3. 

The Zen actually shocked me as to how good it sounded and it was only in close listening side by side that I could hear where the iPhono 3 outperformed the Zen, but make no mistake, the 3 does outperform the Zen. Is your system resolved/refined enough to get the best the 3 can offer? That’s the questions. The Zen is an incredible device for only a buck fifty. I did not try it with the Elite power supply as I only had the 12v and 15v Elite power supply and the Zen requires 5v. I did try it with an iPower X and that is definitely better than the stock supplied power supply.

Special thanks to Audiofun here, just signed up to write this as I decided to get the ifi iPhono 3 after reading this. I had the Zen and other stuff before like Ortofon SPU over SUT and preamp. No matter what, this thing outperforms all I know. Actually I had the Zen testing before instead a 2K setup and it did outperform it and I sold all and kept the Zen. All I can say is, if they would put this in a fancy highend looking case, People would run after it. I still cannot believe what my ears hear. Anyway, now as I know myself I can confirm all your review as absolutely accurate. Thank you very much!

spinninggroovez:

I am so glad my report was of use to you. It is an exceptional piece. Besides my AMR PH 77 (big brother to the iPhono 3) and my Luxman EQ 500 I’ve added the DartZeel. It will be interesting to one day compare the DartZeel’s phono stage to the iPhono 3.

Post removed