Volume Control Too Sensitive

My latest issue:

As some of you may be aware I have a Bryston BP-26 preamp connected to a pair of Classe CAM-200 monoblock amps.

My issue is that I have very little range on my volume knob. If looked at as a clockface, I can only go from 6 to 7 using XLR cables, and 6 to 8 using RCA cables.

Not only is this lack of range annoying using the remote control, but I question if the sound is compromised by the fact that I’m just using such a small portion of the volume knob.

Any thoughts on this?

onehorsepony

I suspect that he is using a clock dial to describe his volume control position with 6 being the bottom of his dial. This would be max attenuation. I assume that 12 o'clock would be the optimum position (many manufacturers recommend something between 10 and 2 o'clock). I used Rothwell 10db in my stuff which had max attenuation between 9 and 10 to increase the range of usable control to 11 to 2 o'clock. So there, you have it, a WAG! I would not normally recommend a 20db reduction, but the OP's description of his VC position suggested to me he needed a lot to get up to 12.

If he wants to drill this down he should contact Bryston and see if he can identify what position on their VC dial would represent the optimum position for best sound quality, and if he can contact them (or some one who is knowledgeable about their product) how much reduction should be used. 

Science at it's best! :-)

crustycoot

his are monoblocks. even easier, smaller single channel device. I would definitely look for room inside, drill a hole, add a high quality volume control to each amp.

I've added on/off switches to a few things, but if thinking about resale .... 

I somehow doubt OP will mess with his amps, so an external box with a high quality single channel volume control would do it. ALPS seem to be liked by many makers.

OP,

There is no reason balanced is NEEDED in a home system.

IF you change to unbalanced RCA's, your preamp's max output (15v) is HALF of what balanced is (30v). Both seem too high. That may change the preamp's volume control's range enough for you without taking any other action.

I like locking connectors, balanced gives you that, the best reason to use them in a home system. I changed all my unbalanced interconnects to Locking RCA connectors. 

I tried a pair of attenuators for my amp just in case some kid wanted to hear how it sounds with the volume turned up full.

Unfortunately the attenuators seemed to be either badly made or I wasn't able to use enough force to get the RCAs in.

In the end I slackened the grub screw on the volume knob and either use the remote or just manually turn the spindle (after I've slid the volume pot off - better not say 'knob' again).

I suspect that a lot of modern amps are voiced that way to sound more powerful and impressive with just a small turn of the dial. Quite a few CD players have high gain too etc.

The cursed loudness wars seem to have drafted in some equipment manufacturers too.

Post removed