Volume Control Too Sensitive

My latest issue:

As some of you may be aware I have a Bryston BP-26 preamp connected to a pair of Classe CAM-200 monoblock amps.

My issue is that I have very little range on my volume knob. If looked at as a clockface, I can only go from 6 to 7 using XLR cables, and 6 to 8 using RCA cables.

Not only is this lack of range annoying using the remote control, but I question if the sound is compromised by the fact that I’m just using such a small portion of the volume knob.

Any thoughts on this?

onehorsepony

@elliottbnewcombjr  

adding attenuation beyond a volume control (attenuator) so you can attenuate less before the added attenuator. are you all nuts?

The Bryston puts out 15 volts, that's a lot. Attenuating the signal (pad down) is an acceptable method to knock down the output signal. Much cleaner and simpler that adding a variable attenuator (volume control). No impact to the sonic qualities and it will lower the noise floor. This is exactly the reason attenuators are made.  

russ,

IF you wanted to solve it, and IF you also liked the option of straight to the mono-blocks, how might you solve it?

My understanding is that these values are normal, 15v-30v max output is rather on the low side. Some preamps do 50v max. in single ended. Mine does max 56v. in balanced and never experienced such a narrow volume range.

So 15v-30v max is not a lot.

Please check sensitivity and total gain of both pre and power

Please check sensitivity and total gain of both pre and power

High sensitivity speakers?

My McIntosh mx110z tube tuner/preamp output is only 3 volts.

With high efficiency horns, I am using 12 o'clock on the preamp, and typically 12 o'clock on the 45wpc cayin amp. then up/dn on the cayin via remote.

I cannot believe 15-30v is normal. I agree 15 volts is a LOT for a preamp.

In the old days amps expected a 1 volt input. Preamps were added to boost small signals up to 1 volt for the existing amps.