Volume Control Too Sensitive

My latest issue:

As some of you may be aware I have a Bryston BP-26 preamp connected to a pair of Classe CAM-200 monoblock amps.

My issue is that I have very little range on my volume knob. If looked at as a clockface, I can only go from 6 to 7 using XLR cables, and 6 to 8 using RCA cables.

Not only is this lack of range annoying using the remote control, but I question if the sound is compromised by the fact that I’m just using such a small portion of the volume knob.

Any thoughts on this?

onehorsepony

OP, FWIW read ghdprentice's post to rvpiano's thread about music v audio. It is excellent and mirrors my life experience.

I agree with his advise re your Bryston. You need something in your system which you must buy on faith knowing that it can last a long time. The only component that can serve you so well is a pre-amp. I had a SOTA ARC pre-amp which I used for over 30 years and it took me thru many speakers and amps. I never regretted its purchase (and when I finally sold it I got more than I paid for it!)

If I were in your place, I would for the purpose of limiting my expenditures get the Roth 20db fixed attenuators ($60 +/-) which would allow me to hear exactly what the Brystons contribution to your sound was when operated in it's more optimum range. If that would work (and I don't think it will really solve your underlying issues) you will be happy, for a while at least). IMHO this is the only reasonable solution to your volume control issue I don't like stacking volume controls of any sort including variable attenuators, except perhaps the Placette which is somewhat costly.)

@elliottbnewcombjr  

adding attenuation beyond a volume control (attenuator) so you can attenuate less before the added attenuator. are you all nuts?

The Bryston puts out 15 volts, that's a lot. Attenuating the signal (pad down) is an acceptable method to knock down the output signal. Much cleaner and simpler that adding a variable attenuator (volume control). No impact to the sonic qualities and it will lower the noise floor. This is exactly the reason attenuators are made.  

russ,

IF you wanted to solve it, and IF you also liked the option of straight to the mono-blocks, how might you solve it?

My understanding is that these values are normal, 15v-30v max output is rather on the low side. Some preamps do 50v max. in single ended. Mine does max 56v. in balanced and never experienced such a narrow volume range.

So 15v-30v max is not a lot.

Please check sensitivity and total gain of both pre and power