Volume Control Too Sensitive

My latest issue:

As some of you may be aware I have a Bryston BP-26 preamp connected to a pair of Classe CAM-200 monoblock amps.

My issue is that I have very little range on my volume knob. If looked at as a clockface, I can only go from 6 to 7 using XLR cables, and 6 to 8 using RCA cables.

Not only is this lack of range annoying using the remote control, but I question if the sound is compromised by the fact that I’m just using such a small portion of the volume knob.

Any thoughts on this?

onehorsepony

I have a pair of Rothwell In-Line -10 db Attenuators that I previously used between a pre-amp and an amp for that exact issue. Not being used. Just sayin'...

adding attenuation beyond a volume control (attenuator) so you can attenuate less before the added attenuator. 

are you all nuts?

I would add volume controls to my mono blocks. that solves several things

1. find a level on the amps that works with a level on the preamps that makes you and your remote happy.

2, now you can use any line level signal straight into the amps. 

3. any balance issue can be solved by adjusting the amps individually.

reubent

Same contradiction, however at least a useful location for them rather than just a cut behind for a prior lift.

Super annoying. Had this issue with several units including a Hafler Dh-101, a Belles preamp, and a Plinius. The units used in my current systems that do not have this issue are Coda 07X, Schiit Freya+ and a Heathkit AP-1800.