Advance Warning: RAAL VM-1a + SR1a

The new RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp and SR1a ’ear phones’ are going to blow the socks of anyone who hears this. The reviews will be gushing. Shoot this is the very best sound I have every heard anywhere. It is better than my 2-channel system:

- Thiel CS3.7 ($6K) | CODA 07x preamp | KRELL Duo 175XD | Musetec 005 DAC | Fiber streaming with Sonore OpticalRendu = $25K+ (approx)

My SR1a is composed of the following;

Benchmark DAC3B | RAAL VM-1a | RAAL SR1a | Fiber streaming = $11.5K

This is the very best sound I have heard ANYWHERE. Have a listen at the next CanJam. I have this in my house today.

yyzsantabarbara

Prior to the Vm-1a the very best I have heard the SR1a was as follows:

SR1a | CODA 07x preamp | KRELL Duo 175XD | Musetec 005 DAC | Fiber streaming with Sonore OpticalRendu = $25K+ (approx)

I would say that is 75/100 and the combo listed above is 100/100. Though I have yet to try the Musetec 005.

Listening to Allman Bros, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. This sounds like something I never heard before (I have heard the some 100’s of times)

I’ve never had a chance to hear them, but I can say I’ve spent a little time talking to Raal and they are top notch. Know their tech really well and super nice people so I always wish them great success.

@erik_squires  I believe you are in Los Angeles.  If so, do a short drive up the 101 to Ventura and have Danny give you a demo with exactly what I have now at home.

I am going through my classic albums on this system and everything is at another level. Having no room to deal with is huge. 

This system is perfect for 2-channel people who dislike headphones (like me).

I just bought fresh of the press RAAL ’CA something?’ headphones. it is a closed back headphone unlike the great SR1a, which is open. It is more of a headphone sound, so a tiny minus for me. However, it also has the tone of the SR1a, a massive win for me. I can now listen to the RAAL sound with my head on a pillow. You cannot do that easily with the SR1a.

I am testing this on the VM-1a amp now (awesome). Later tonight I will put it on my used Schitt JR amp ($350). I paid $2000 for the CA because I did not need any extras to get the headphone to work. I had everything from the SR1a. Otherwise, I think it is $2500.

The last ’headphone’ I had was the Meze Empy. I sold that after I got the SR1a. This CA sounds much better to me than the Empy. I used the Benchmark HPA4 with the Empy (a great pairing).