Streaming vs Physical Media

I have a decent digital front end with a Lumin U1 Mini (w/ external power supply) and a Border Patrol SE dac.  Have some CDs, but no transport.  Would a CD transport sound better than a streamer of similar quality/price?  

mdonda

@jji666

In the name of adding balance and credibility to your beliefs, would you please care to tell us your streaming setup and what have you tried so far? BTW, here is the my original post.

“Every streamer or server out there regardless of price simply benefits from noise filters placed in between server or streamer and your router. To what degree, that comes down to your components and overall system transparency.”

@jji666

As I originally mentioned, I'm adding balance. 

I have zero issue with your intention to add as you put it balance to this discussion. I suspect that most following this thread feel the same. I've inquired several time out of genuine curiosity for you to cite or describe these credible people who dismiss digital streaming path noise as a factor affecting sound quality.

I have listed previously the names of highly esteemed manufacturers who do believe that noise is a real and present issue. They have produced and offer ultra quality streamers/servers based on this concept. I'm simply asking you who are the designers/developers/builders (Credible as you put it)  of these type of components who believe noise is a non factor? What have they produced?

Thanks.

Charles

In the name of adding balance and credibility to your beliefs, would you please care to tell us your streaming setup and what have you tried so far? BTW, here is the my original post.

Sure, although any attempt at thoroughness would seriously hijack this thread.  I had no intention of doing that.

I have 3 streamers at the moment - 2 that I custom built based on The Computer Audiophile specs for their CAPS streamers -- fanless ATOM boards with SOTM USB cards and SOTM ATA filters (which didn't affect sound in my tests) -- and an Auralic Aries, each outputting to different DACs via USB, AES/EBU, Coax, presently I am rotating between a W4S DAC2, a Mytek Liberty II and a Schiit Gumby.

I'm on my 5th generation (yeah I wanted to get these right) of home-built Roon core servers (2 locations) which I found have to be seriously overbuilt to mitigate Roon's various bugs and resource leaks.  Network is 10Gb ethernet all wired.

Listening through either a Levinson, BAT or Bryston preamp and typically through rebuilt Magnepan 3.-series actively biamped (Marchand crossover) through Krell, Classe, or Levinson amps and REL subs. Stream Tidal/Qobuz although I have a local library of about 4000 titles; many of them my own DVDA and SACD rips. 

I've moved houses and replaced all network gear through multiple generations;  changed out network gear dozens of times to no impact. Experimented with all kinds and standards of wi-fi as well.  Assuming standard network gear up to spec and protocol, there's no difference in swapping out that gear.  I find that you don't get much or any difference in these tweaks (meaning specifically data transport) until you get to the DAC - I've rotated through 8 or 10 of those. 

But look, this isn't even about my particular opinion.  When I see an absolutist statement that ALL streamers/servers benefit from network noise filters, I am simply saying there are lots of educated folks who disagree.  

@jji666

After carefully reading your post, I am standing by my statement in its entirety. This is a open discussion forum and you are certainly entitled to your opinion and beliefs like anyone else. And I do appreciate your participation.

“Every streamer or server out there regardless of price simply benefits from noise filters placed in between server or streamer and your router. To what degree, that comes down to your components and overall system transparency.”

Post removed