Top Songs You Can Sing Along with When Highly Intoxicated (or Other Compromised State)

Okay, Bohemian Rhapsody is fun to sing along with accompanied by a group of your closest high end audio buddies.  But I must admit that after a couple of generous portions of my favorite beverage(s), I fall off the rails somewhere between “mama mia” and “let me go.”  Wild Thing is an obvious choice, but I think we can be a bit more imaginative and consider some “lesser known” buried treasures out there.

Here's my #1 pick:

Quicksilver Messenger Service – Mona

This one by QMS passes the “highly intoxicated” test with flying colors.  As further validation, I conducted an in-field lab test this morning.  After a tooth extraction, numb jaw, tingly lips, and gauss compacted between an upper tooth and previous home of the extracted tooth, I was STILL able to belt out the lyrics to this song on my way home from the dentist’s office.  Therefore, Mona gets my vote as #1.

A very long guitar intro gives you plenty of time to grab another cold one, pop a cork, crush some ice, or rooooooooooooooool another one.  Then, Gary Duncan artfully delivers the memorable lyrics with warmth and passion.  The guitar break features a fairly unremarkable guitar solo by Gary Duncan, then the vocals resume. It is at this moment that Hall of Fame guitarist John Cipollina illustrates the unique skill set that earned him a permanent position in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. John “answers” Gary gripping vocal with a display of musical creativity, sensitivity and balance that only John could deliver.

This contribution(?) is all in fun, but I’d like to say the QMS was made up of serious musicians who have written and performed some of most imaginative pieces in rock and roll history.

128x128waytoomuchstuff

A classic rock anthem that everybody recognizes, and especially if you have a roll-your-own whiff or two.

THE DOORS - “Light my Fire”

”You know that it would be untrue

You know that I would be a liar

If I was to say to you

Girl, we couldn’t get much higher …

Come on, baby, light my fire
Come on, baby, light my fire
Try to set the night on fire …”

Or …if you have a pleasant bellyful of beer and you are sliding down into your easy chair 

DOOBIE BROS. - “ Listen to the Music”…

especially the chorus …,

“Whoa, oh listen to the music
Whoa, oh listen to the music
Whoa, oh listen to the music
All the time”

@russ69

It’s not all over, actually. What you might try or consider, is trying to find that gap or valley that the range of octaves is hiding in. I’m guessing you are having a hard time modulating those octaves in the middle, where your voice wants to crack higher or lower and is confined to higher or lower, with those two middle and essential octaves missing. It takes a bit of time to work it out. You have to try slowly going up and down the scale, to start, and then move onto groups of varied notes translated in and out of. And then work on the vibrato in those middle bits.

There ain't no substitute for having sung in choirs or the like, as a kid, that is as good as having put in the '10,000hrs to become an expert and be instinctual' thing.

It's still in there, like a permanent  and extensive road system that is covered in layers of accumulated desert sand.

"American Pie"

Long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry
Them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singing, "This'll be the day that I die"
This will be the day that I die.

David Bowie-Heroes

....I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins, like dolphins can swim
Though nothing, nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, for ever and ever
Oh we can be heroes, just for one day....