Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

I saw Nicola in Chicago a few years ago .  After she played the WarHorse Concerto she encored with a few Scottish ditties, and her personality really came out.  She is a tiny person, btw, barely 5 feet and probably a size 1.5….

Have any of you heard of the 18 year old sensation Yoav Levanon who hails from Israel. He has a technique that is absolutely astonishing and also produces a beautiful tone from the piano. There is a recording from Warner from him entitled A Monument for Beethoven where he plays music from the pianists who helped to raise the money for the monument to him in Bonn. The piano playing is stunning  and the  interpretations of the pieces are so accomplished.

Sorry Len you won't like it as he plays the Liszt Sonata in the best recording and interpretation I think I have ever heard..