Importance of Amplifier versus Preamp?

New in the field. I am wondering what is most important: a great amplifier with a good preamplifier, or a good amp, with a great preamplifier? Or should I look at a good amp with a great do certain brands make amplifier to go with preamplifier and receivers?
Thank you kindly.
rockanroller
They are equally important .Your sound will only be as good as your weakest link.IMHO Of course!
01-26-15: Wlutke
"Your amp can't sound any better than what the preamp gives it."

Almarg -
"This is true. But it is also true that the preamp can't sound any better than the amp allows it to. So the location of a given component in the chain is in itself of no significance, IMO."

Regards,
-- Al

Al,

I agree. In the big picture, the weakest link is the weakest link, regardless.
However, signal error and noise in the preamp are facing downstream amplification. Better to rid the system of the error before it gets magnified in my experience.

Bill
My experience suggest source and preamp is where I hear the most significant differences. I submit the preamp is the hardest component to get right...at least that's what I'm going through at the moment.

Using the same manufacturer doesn't guarantee anything. I have a Parasound A21 and recently purchased a Parasound JC2 preamp. I thought that would end my quest, but I hated it. Going direct from my PS Audio Directstream was better to my ears, but something is still missing. My quest for the right preamp continues!
Rockenroller, where are you? You have initiated a good thread and have received much great advise and not responded with additional info in specifically helping you. Again what speakers and budget?