WiFi streaming — streamer vs. through iPad

I’m currently streaming Qobuz in my HeadFi rig to my DAC via my iPad via an upgraded dongle and USB cable and was pretty happy til I hooked up my CD transport and realized it sounds much better than than streaming.  After speaking with some folks here I’ve since realized I need to get a dedicated streamer hardwired to my router to up my streaming performance, but I’ve got a couple situations where going hardwired won’t be possible and will be forced to use WiFi.  My question is, if I’m using WiFi would there still be a sonic benefit to using a streamer (I’m planning on getting an iFi Zen Stream BTW) versus going wired through my iPad or will using WiFi completely nullify any sonic advantages the streamer brings?  Thanks for any thoughts/advice. 

soix

I tried extender technology with not much success.  I dropped the cash for a Linksys Velop mesh network.  Plugged the Roon server directly into one of the nodes.  Totally stabilized my system and my home network as well.

With a good wireless network really no need to hardwire to an extender. A mesh wifi network should be part of this. An extender just uses a existing wifi network and extends it so really not getting any better speeds than before. I use mesh networks in two locations and fantastic speeds and nil latency. 

If your WiFi is strong, it should not be a problem. Fidelity is the same, WiFi or Ethernet. What is different is that with weak WiFi, one can get dropouts and lost connections.

I have two streamers that have both WiFi and Ethernet, and neither one sounds different via WiFi than it does on Ethernet.

One is an Auralic Aries G1; the other a Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo DigiOne card and external WiFi dongle. The latter I would think to be similar to the iFi unit.

I don’t know if you are considering one, but I did not have good luck with a powerline Ethernet connection, tried and discarded years ago. It would not make a strong, reliable connection.

And yes, for some reason I don’t quite understand, a directly connected tablet has never produced sound for me nearly as good as either of the streamers.

BTW, I don’t use Roon so that’s not an issue.

Even If I didn't have ROON I would plug my streamer directly into the Mesh node.  As mater of fact I have both the ROON server and the Streamer plugged into the Node as I sometimes switch over and listen directly from the Streamer when I want to compare SQ.