JL Audio CR-1 Crossover

So, I own 4 JL Audio F-113 subs. Each of these were bought used and all have been updated at JL Audio.

I have been very happy using them in my system. The main speakers are Focal Sopra 2’s. I am using a Iso-Max Jensen transformer(s) model #SP-2SX to connect the subs to my mains and it seems to work pretty well. BTW, the Iso Max unit(s) convert speaker level to balanced (similar to the Rel subs) using Speak-On fittings.

The JL Audio solution to the high/low band pass issue was their CR-1 Electronic crossover. I always wanted to try one of these but at $3000 list I didn’t think it could improve that much over my Iso Max unit(s).

However, I was able to find a used JL Audio CR-1 electronic crossover and I have just now connected it up.

The first thing I noticed was how much very low bass I was missing. Example: Linda Ronstadt “Blue Bayou” the bass now digs into the subterranean.

I guess I need to play with it a while. but I was wonderin’ if anyone else who owns or has owned this unit can share any set ups tips and general opinions of the unit.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

hubbman,

Now that is strange because I am doing the same thing. I am using Cardas XLR/RCA adapters converting the balanced XLR from my Oppo 205 to a RCA input at the CR-1, while using all the other as balanced.

You may be creating a ground loop, have you tried lifting the ground switch on the back?

So, try just using the XLR output and convert it to RCA at the CR-1 and use them in the RCA managed inputs.

I will double check my connections to make sure what I am saying is correct.

ozzy

hubbman,

I’m sorry I stated it wrong. I am using the mono sub output from my Oppo to a y- adapter then to 2 Cardas RCA/XLR adapters. Plugging those adapters into the CR- 1 Balanced managed inputs.

ozzy

"it appears that the CR-1 doesn't like both balanced and unbalanced connections happening at the same time.  If I disconnect the balanced cables from the CR-1 the buzzing stops."

This is correct. I had the same issue. Their customer support is fantastic and I had a helpful exchange with them. 

That is why I am using RCA/XLR adapters to only use the XLR inputs.

So, I am confused as to why he is getting the noise.

Lifting the ground switch may help. 

And yes, their customer support is excellent. Ask for Randy.

ozzy

Interesting Topic.

Currently I use speaker terminal to sub high level input. (Morrow)

Switched over to using the second XLR output on the preamp to connect to the low pass filter on the sub instead. (MIT Termintor cable).

Volume for both connections is different, but I don’t hear low bass information that is missing via the high level inputs. 

possibly the CR1 makes the difference.