Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

Hi Len , have you tried Kavakos in the Sibelius Violin Concerto in the two versions, the first version which most violinists of the time couldn’t get their fingers around so Sibelius revised it. In the revisions he simplified some of the dificulties without harming the thing as a whole and it shortened the concerto a little. With Kavakos playing the original version you can’t hear the imense difficulties of the piece because he is such a good player but when you listen to the revised version I think it just gels better. The concertos are on the BIS label so there is no worry about quality. If you haven’t got this release then I would say it would be well worth having even for the novelty of it because no other violinist will ever be able to release an alternative version as the Sibelius family only gave permission for Kavakos only to release it and then it was sealed back up again.

I hope you are keeping well my friend and getting your dailly dose of Bach.

From your friend in Alba, Kind regards Jim.

Yes, I forgot I do have that BIS . As you know If I see BIS I buy it without looking !

Alba?, even Glasgow will do !

I'm Braw for a wee bottle 'o ginger .

Aye Len, I used to like a wee bottle o ginger masel, Cream soda and Irn Bru.

Gaun yersel.!!

Post removed