Footers- Break In? Such A Change.

So, I know components and cables break in and this has always been a source of mystery, not to mention the EE’s and the naysayers who believe firmly it is just not possible.

I am of the mindset based on my actual experience that electronics need power run through them for a time to perform their best. And that may mean hundreds of hours of electrical energy running through the item to fully form.

So, with this understanding I use this as the preamble to what I will describe next.

Footers. You know those little devices we put under our components, speakers etc., to isolate or stabilize the item.

Well, I must disclose that I have always been a tweaker and have tried many of the accessories we add to get the best out of equipment. I have also tried so many footers, many brands, types, even some DIY etc.

Critical Mass makes racks and footers. I have always wanted their racks, but due to my needed configuration just never have tried a rack. But I have tried the footers. The ones I have are called the Center Stage 2(CM2). I have them in the 1.0 and the 1.5 versions. There is also now a newer version called the 2M.

Anyway, these CM2’s is amazing. When you first place them under the equipment the music becomes dull, soundstage is narrow and the highs/lows are restricted. First comments you will have is; WTH?

But, wait about 7-10 days and these footers really open up and improve in all aspects that is important in sound reproduction.

How the heck a footer breaks in is amazing to me? The only thing that makes sense is that they must be adjusting to the weight that is on top of them and it takes that long to adjust.

Anyway, these are kinda relatively expensive but since the newer versions are now out perhaps you can grab some at a good discount. These will probably be the last footers I will ever own… Maybe?

I highly recommend them, even as strange as they are with break in.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

Good point ozzy.  I'll go further and say that copper wire does not break it.  it is your ears and mind that change.  Now some things do break in, especially things that get hot or operate at a molecular level.

Coincidentally, I just bought a pair of podiums from Townshend and the literature says explicitly that "No breakin is required".   I greatly respect Townshend for saying this.

The breakin/burnin claim is almost universally used knowing that if we get people to use it for a few months before returning it, it greatly reduces the number of returns.

As for how much difference they make, I was skeptical.  Thought it might make some difference in the bass.  I was shocked.  it was such a big change I had to start all over tube rolling.  I wouldn't say it was 100% positive.  But in the end, it was quite an improvement.

Jerry

Thank you @ozzy. Good info.

I must admit I always take on a skeptical look at new tweaks… hoping over and over that it would not matter. But, alas, it always does. I guess while I find it monotonous that everything matters… on the other hand, my system sound is the additive result of a dozen tweaks. So, I take some pride in having done the work and am now reaping the rewards.

Thank you for the comments. I must mention that I also have the Townshend podiums and yes you could tell instantly the improvement.

But the Critical Mass footers are a different animal, they do take time to perform. They don't look much like Hi-Tech from the outside. I wonder what is inside of them?

ozzy

I don't think it's strange anymore ozzy since I had the same experience years ago with the Starsound speaker and component platforms.

Same experience here with black ravioli footers. Methinks it‘s due to gradually improving the connection with the chassis of the component in question, thereby draining internal vibration. It does take a day or two…