Nordost Valhalla 2 Speaker Cables

A few years back I had tested a bunch of top speaker cables with my Gryphon Diablo 300 and B&W 803 D2’s (Top cables from Nordost, AudioQuest and Transparent, and due to cost, I didn’t purchase the winners (Valhalla 2’s) at the time.

Well, I finally took the plunge and paid extra to have them broken in using a Nordost machine. I had forgotten how stunning these are. These are exactly the sound I’m after. I’ve often been frustrated by HiFi systems not having that same crisp quickness of detail that a decent pair of headphones offer. These cables finally give me that. With loads of high frequency detail, but somehow, there is nothing fatiguing or bright about the excellent, sweet treble, with lots of bass warmth that is also lighting quick.

I’ve been considering a speaker upgrade lately and was thinking that I would like speakers with more detail, more precise imaging, faster response and better dynamics. Well, these cables do all that! I’m not one to get carried away but switching out my excellent Clarus Crimson biwires for these was like upgrading my speakers. I’ve half a mind not to bother looking for new speakers now!

Seems silly that cables can make you want to listen to music late into the night but that’s just what happened…. When people upgrade amps or speakers I often hear “I hear new details I’ve never heard in tracks I’ve been listening to for decades” and that also happened with the Valhalla 2’s.

I’m the first to be cautious of people going overboard using superlatives to describe their experience with new gear, but the only time I’ve ever fallen into that, aside from this example, is when I got my Gryphon. Three years later I’m every bit as enthused with my Gryphon. In fact it’s the only expensive thing I’ve bought that I ended up truly enjoying. 99% certain I will continue to feel this way about the Valhalla 2’s, as silly as that seems (it’s a cable!!!).

Stupidly expensive to an absurd degree for a cable, but worth every penny.

I guess my only cautions would be that for some, the rapid fire leading-edge detail may not be to everyone’s liking (I equate it to the fast crisp detail on a good set of headphones). Also, if you are trying to compensate for bright electronics maybe this level of detail would only make things worse? Not sure. In my system, I now have pinpoint imaging, loads of detail, very crisp timing, sweet and well controlled treble, lots of well controlled bass and warmth through all frequencies, lots of dynamic impact, and best of all, it just sounds right and allows you to really get into the music. Even if you play blaring hard rock with distorted guitars (usually a nemesis of hifi systems) it sounds fantastic.

I’m sure I’ve lost credibility for being so effusive; my only defense is that with all of my upgrades, I’ve only ever been this enthusiastic with my Gryphon integrated….

In HiFi people often gravitate towards getting ultimate transparency and detail, OR they gravitate to a more musically engaging but less authentic presentation. To me the Valhalla 2’s offer both the HiFi detail experience AND musical engagement.

nyev

@scott22

What is the system you are going to be intstalling yours? It would be great to hear. You can show photos and components under your UserID. It would be great to see.

I have found the lower tiers on Nordost thin, but the upper levels incredible.

You gotta have a lot of disposable income to spend 30 large on 3 meters of speaker cable.

@nyev 

Good for you and thanks for sharing your experience. I can imagine how thrilled you must be.

Audiogon used to be a place where people could share their thoughts and express their happiness/misery etc - basically a place to open up. It's a shame what it has become today. People do not realize that yes - there are millions of millionaires who can afford stuff that most here can only dream of.

But I say - just enjoy your system and music. There will always be people who will be jealous of what you have. Ignore them and move on.

@milpai, thanks and no worries, I don’t mind being judged online by strangers! People can make use of my experience or make judgements, that’s just the internet so it’s all good!

To shut down all who assume I may be biased having spent the cash, please reference my review of the Valhalla 2’s FROM 2019, where my review was just as enthusiastic as my experience after having bought the cables. In 2019, since I am not a millionaire made of money, I did not purchase them until now in 2022. That’s how much of an impact these cables made on me - my experience with them in 2019 was so positive it led me to commit to a purchase over 3 years!

I also totally get how some may not like this particular sound, and also, how systems that may be on the bright side may not be served well by these cables.

But like it or not, what these cables bring to my system is nothing short of what a speaker or amp upgrade can bring. I’ve tested other very pricey cables that did not have the same effect, so it is NOT just a function of pricing bias, as much as people would love to believe that. I will also say that in my 2019 review, I found that the Valhalla 2 power cord was lacking in bass. Despite the fact that it costs way too much!

What I do agree with is the fact that these companies are charging far more than they need to. The trouble is, the sound quality improvements are flat-out obvious to me!

Resume judging :)

nyev- 

Good for you, finding what works for your ears. 

The cable forum is the WORST place to make declarations about anything audiophool-particularly Nordost! Polarizing, contentious and down right wacky to even the "normal" audio fans here.

My $etup is FAR below what someone uses with Valhalla or Odin. Heimdall 2 wall to speaker does the deed.

I've had a good laugh demoing Odin II from the wall to Valhalla II into the speakers.$60K+ of cable plumbing powering  a $20K system TOTAL.

If my setup were uber status, Odin would be my go to.

I don't hear what many say as "thinning" of the lower frequencies with Nordost. I do believe in the Nordost philosophy of "power cord first."

Nordost like every other "high end" cable isn't for everyone's ears, or wallet.