Upgrade from Benchmark Dac2 L

I’ve had a Dac2 L for quite some time and while I’ve been happy with it I would like to try something new. My budget Is around $2.5K new or used. Anyone that has had experience with the Dac2 have suggestions?

emiliop

I had a DAC2 HGC and now have the DAC3B (identical sonically). I recently tried a range of DACs for 2 systems I was building. I also played around with headphones so that was an additional DAC that I was trying out. A few of these DACs came out as superheroes on the ASR site.

The best DAC from the bunch was the Musetec 005, at $2962 new. There is some controversy today about the measurements of this DAC, but the sound is great to my ears.

I now have a Benchmark DAC3B and the Musetec 005 and do not plan to change those 2. In fact, I need to get a 3rd DAC and I am deciding between another DAC3B or Musetec 005. Price and form factor also are factors in the decision.

BTW - I am Golden Ears

What improvements would you like to achieve, and what sound characteristics are most important to you?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am wanting something with tubelike mids and and imaging but no sacrifice in detail. The dac2 is no slouch in my opinion, just wanting to try something new if I can find a step up in my price range if possible. 

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the word “tubelike” used in any Benchmark DAC review.  Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing because Benchmark DACs have other virtues, but it is what it is.  

Given what you’re looking for I’d take a hard look at some of the better R2R DACs that bring the tone but won’t short you on detail.  A bit below your budget I’d recommend the Denafrips Pontus ll, and if you can stretch a bit the Musician Aquarius is excellent and offers a lot of performance and parts quality for the price. Here’s a review I think you’ll find informative, and best of luck in your search. 

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/musician-aquarius-r-2r-dac-review/