Chill Out; Get Outside of yourself

Since I’m a geezer, I have the luxury of doing what I want. We decided to go to Alaska. It is not the US in the "OMG I’ve got to deal with external BS." Survival is sort of important. As my wife says, "It’s about functional, not about frills." And that, to me, is the starting point. Know your point of departure. The world is bigger and more amazing than you may think.

IMG_0057

128x128whart

Preaching to the choir. In my younger days I climbed half the 54 Colorado fourteeners. Skied a few and even mountain biked one. The world viewed from the top is the most serene thing you can do. Now at 67, it's time to rest 🙂

Alaska is a beautiful place. Austere, rocky, demanding. 

Not for the faint of heart. Avoid the winter and the thaw and the mosquito eruption. Also steer clear of the crazies. Lots of time to think awkwardly. But hiking, fishing, hunting, cross country skiing...world class.  

I've been hiking since 14 years of age.  In my youth I did a lot of backpacking but as I age I only do day hiking.  Typically somewhere between 7 to 11 miles in a day and typically with a good amount of elevation gain/decline.  I love the mountains!  You can see by my avatar picture that I am a skier, too.  I have been skiing for 49 years and still enjoy the higher elevations and big mountain skiing.  I got 23 ski days this year, the final 2 were just last week.  And of course, at Mammoth Mountain.  I also fish for pelagic species (tuna, yellowtail, dorado).  Though that is at sea level (not the mountains) it is most certainly the outdoor lifestyle and more experiences of this beautiful planet.  And I get to stuff my freezer with some amazingly delicious fish😋

Sorry to ramble on about myself.  Bottom line, though, whatever you prefer to do in your spare time, @whart is absolutely correct.  Chill out and get outside of yourself.  Just get outside and experience the world around us.  It's awesome!  And it provides such marvelous memories.

Beautiful photo. Reminds me of the opening scene from Prometheus,
in a good way.

All the best,
Nonoise

Yep, that was kind of my point. We get caught in cages of our own making. This place forces you to transcend the normal inner voices and get in touch with something bigger. I could see how the long cold winters here could make one go all "The Shining." Thanks for all the kind words. Lots to do here this week for us.