This cable game is making my head spin

Hello all

I'll start by listing my system for reference.

Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black cart.

Tokyo Sound Phono stage (A late 90's Japanese Audio company)

Aric Audio Unlimited all tube preamp

Odyssey Khartago w/ upgraded power supply and internal wiring

Divine Acoustics Proxima speakers

Now the story of my Frankenstein cable setup.  When I started purchasing cables I found an independent cable maker online who used silver in all his cables. I had purchased 3 power cables for my phono pre, preamp and amp. Unfortunately we had a falling out and I decided not to purchase any more cables from him. I was very green in the whole cable game and I still am but have learned a bit since. Most notably is how silver can brighten a system and the Ortofon 2M black is known as a bright sounding cart to begin with.

Being on a budget and wanting to upgrade all my interconnects at once I came upon vintage western electric interconnects being sold on here and elsewhere. Purported "giant killers" so I bought those for the time being at $114 a pair. But I needed a phono cable and being as green as I am/was thought you needed a cable with an attached ground and extra shielding. I couldn't find a western electric specific phono cable so I bought an Audio Sensibility impact SE phono cable. For speaker wire I went with the Belden 9497 from the same place I got the western electric. A nice budget cable and also a purported "giant killer". For my turntable I  got a western electric power cable from the same place.

So I'm running 3 silver power cables to phono amp, preamp, amp and a western electric power cable to the turntable. Audio Sensibility phono cable. Western Electric interconnects from phono to preamp and preamp to amp, and the Belden 9497 speaker wire. What a mess right lol.

I want to streamline all my cables so I bought a pair of Audio Sensibility impact se interconnects. Same make as my phono cable. When I put them in between the preamp and amp I was shocked how dull and lifeless the sound was. Granted they are not broken in and only went through the 3 day burn in process Audio Sensibility offers but I was not expecting that dramatic of a change. The phono cable sounds good so maybe it is break in? Or the phono cable being OCC copper is taming some of the harshness of the Ortofon cartridge but the interconnect from preamp to amo is taming it too much?

I'd like to start auditioning cables from different manufacturers in the "mid-fi" price range and actually get this done right this time around. Given my system is there any advice to be offered on where I should start? I don't want things too bright sounding but not as lifeless as the Audio Sensibility (occ copper) either. And I'm a sucker for lush mid bass and mids hence the all tube preamp.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help!

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. I’m using the audio sensibilty impact se their lowest model. That would make all my cables that model. Giving me a baseline. 

No, it doesn't give a baseline. Cables interact with their driver and their load and the effects imparted are to the specific system only.

There is ZERO probability that cost / model delta will create any specific benefit.

It is 100% possible that a same company cable change to a 2x cost will make a very good system unlistenable.

If you like your system, you are done. If you don't figure out why before expending a penny on some recommended wire. Ignore ALL FanBoy recommendations. First, it's their system only. Second, they may be deaf or have diametrically opposed preferences.

If you haven't, see ieLogical CableSnakeOil and the links referenced therein.

@blue_collar_audio_guy “That would make all my cables that model. Giving me a baseline.”

That is a great idea. If you like the overall tonal balance and presentation you can move up the product models. If you don’t you can move to a different brand emphasizing the characteristics you want. You are creating a known starting place.

I did the same decades ago… then came up with about six or seven variables each to be rated on a ten point scale. With my standard set. I would compare others with them. If what you have chosen isn’t “neutral” it doesn’t matter… because several variables will always be high or low… showing how these place in the greater scheme of things.

An excellent logical approach since there is no absolute neutral standards available.

Another vote here for Cardas. I have Clear, Clear Reflection and Neutral Reference in my rig and they are superb. If your looking for more of a analog sound as opposed to hyper detail, then you will not be disappointed.