Disappointing short life of NOS preamp tube

Being sarcastic really.

I only got 7 years out of  50's 12au7 RCA black plate. That may indicate 5 more randomly futzing out the rest of this year.

With the state of tube pricing now, tubes definitely not on my list of unnecessary audiophool spending.

I was really hoping these things going for 20, especially them just being preamp tubes, not a power tube. Fortunately, I have one more for backup, plus the 6 stock tubes in the shoebox.

Such is life. I'm more impressed by my relatively quick troubleshooting, avoiding severe neurosis. Less than 5 minutes-patting myself on the back, and praise from the boss.

tablejockey

facten-

I've never  cared/paid attention to tube hours, but the amp /tubes have served me well.

Over the 6 year period there have been random marathon weekends of near 24 hour service, after work, almost daily 2  hour dinner sessions, random times the amp has been accidentally left on weekends(not recommended, of course) and BLAST your ears sessions with friends. 

Whatever it equates to, I consider the tube serving  it's purpose. I have a daily driver 67 Mac tuner  with a couple of original tubes. 

USA NOS tubes for the most part are indestructible, but not 100% like anything manmade.

good old stock 12au7’s are still plentiful and pretty inexpensive, your complaint falls on deaf ears with me... and if you only got 7 years out of your pair, you must be abusing your gear

he he he

As George Harrison said, All Things Must Pass.

I guess you should be glad it was just a tube and not you.

tablejockey - I may be wrong but my impression has been that preamp tubes are rated at 5-10,000 hours. Given your described usage you may have reached that over the 6-7 years