Another person going digital and full of questions

I'm yet another new member trying to figure out the digital streaming world.  I've been streaming Tidal and Idagio from my desktop computer through an RME ADI-2 dac and into various headphones for a while.  Now I'd like to add digital streaming on my main system.  I'm just looking for a source that would provide streaming services to my existing preamp (Audible Illusions) amp (Audio Research) and speakers (Wilson Benesch Act 1).  I'm looking for something to complement my other sources, a VPI turntable and a Rega CD player and Benchmark 1 DAC.  I don't want to rip my CDs or play any stored music files.  So far, I'm learning that there are more recent and better DACs out there than the old Benchmark, and that I should consider a quieter box than my computer to connect to ethernet.  But I'm lost in a sea of streamers, servers, reclockers, power supplies, etcetera, most with unfamiliar brand names.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  budget in the $5k range but can stretch a little.

mattchanoff

@mattchanoff : how do you plan to stream? Do you subscribe to any streaming services, such as Tidal, Qobuz, and such? It looks like you have no interest in ripping your CDs and streaming them? I am assuming you don’t use Roon?

If only streaming from Qobuz Tidal or similar, IMO the easiest solution is a nice DAC, with built in streamer, such as this:

You will obviously need to provide internet connection to it, such as an Ethernet cable from Router or Ethernet Switch to the streaming DAC.

There are other brands, similar concept (I.e LUMIN others have mentioned). I agree that upgrading your DAC should be your top priority.

If you get a DAC with no streamer built in, then you can add a stand alone streamer, USB out to DAC, such a Sonore ultraRendu or microRendu (cheaper)

The range of products and opinions can be bewildering so I would start from a different angle. You want something to “complement” your other sources. What does that mean? Are you talking about a comparable sound? If so then that narrows your options if you can describe the sound you’re after. You might also want to re-examine your starting point. If you want to use streaming to discover music you might subsequently buy on CD then yes of course ripping and storage is pointless. If you’re spending up to 5k though it poses an opportunity to match or exceed your current source. Whilst CD ripping is slow ish - it took me 5 weeks to rip 2,000 - it’s also fabulously worth it if you get the streamer/DAC right. It’s absolutely not dispiriting.

I bought a node 2i a couple years ago for $430 open box from Crutchfield.

I then got an upgrade kit and a linear power supply for about $250 more.

The combination sounds very good to my ears. 

Thanks mahughes and hilde45 for your posts.  Re the node 2i, yes I'm considering that.  I keep hearing that the bluesound stuff is "entry level high fi," but if the DAC is what's important and I use a it just to stream, and if the the power supply for the streamer is next most important, which I think is also true, then your solution makes a lot of sense.

mahughes, thanks for the question.  The "sound" I've always looked for is something like this:  1) tonality of vocal music.  On the very best systems I've heard, Leonard Cohen on "You Want it Darker" sounds not only deep and gravely but actually old.  Beverly Glenn-Copeland on "Deep River" sound like trans, with that beautiful fold contralto he had as a woman overlaid with the masculine tones he acquired after transition. I suspect this has a lot to do with handling different dynamic levels, because tonality is largely a function of harmonics, and the harmonics of a note are much quieter than the note itself.  2) separation and distinction.  When I'm listening to Trombone Shorty or Roy Hargrove, I want to clearly hear the differences in tone between the saxes, trumpets, and trombones.  In good choral recordings on great systems, you can hear the distinction between individual voices, both the unity of the chorus and the individuals.  3) coping with complexity.  On pieces like the Dance Infernal in Firebird or John Zorn's noisier stuff, or maybe Frank Zappa, you often hear a kind of confused failure-to-keep-up that's clearly an artifact of the equipment (though I think more an amplifier or speaker problem).  Slam/attack and decay. A rimshot should startle you; the opening to Born in the USA should jerk you upright a little bit.  

Anyway, that's the best I can do at describing the elements that add up to what I'm really after, which is being transported by the music.