Another person going digital and full of questions

I'm yet another new member trying to figure out the digital streaming world.  I've been streaming Tidal and Idagio from my desktop computer through an RME ADI-2 dac and into various headphones for a while.  Now I'd like to add digital streaming on my main system.  I'm just looking for a source that would provide streaming services to my existing preamp (Audible Illusions) amp (Audio Research) and speakers (Wilson Benesch Act 1).  I'm looking for something to complement my other sources, a VPI turntable and a Rega CD player and Benchmark 1 DAC.  I don't want to rip my CDs or play any stored music files.  So far, I'm learning that there are more recent and better DACs out there than the old Benchmark, and that I should consider a quieter box than my computer to connect to ethernet.  But I'm lost in a sea of streamers, servers, reclockers, power supplies, etcetera, most with unfamiliar brand names.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  budget in the $5k range but can stretch a little.

mattchanoff

I just bought my 3rd Sonore OpticalRendu for streaming I have 2 DACs now and a 3rd in the future. The price of the used OpticalRendu was too good to pass up. It will stay in storage until I get a 3rd DAC.

I also owned the Benchmark DAC1 and it is the only Benchmark product I dislike. The DAC2 and DAC3 are not as fatiguing compared to the DAC1. In fact, many of the new DACs in the $500-$1000 range are better than the DAC1.

Thanks.  Yes, I haven't been crazy about it either.  As I mentioned, I have a more recent RME ADI-2 DAC.  I like that better, but it's in a different system and I haven't spent any time carefully comparing the two.

search bar above is your friend...

short answer, unless you are going to run roon, get an innous, auralic or lumin one box streamer/dac in your price range

Bluesound Node2 is a good starter streamer.  It works with every streaming service out there.  They have just upped their DAC, and you may or may not find it compares with your current DAC.  It will leave most of your budget intact so that you can upgrade the DAC significantly if you wish goingforward.  I would add Cambridge Audio CXN 60 for about twice the price of Bluesound.  It has a better DAC and adds Chromecast and AirPlay and really excellent Internet Radio and Podcast capabilities.

@mahler123

i agree that the node will do the job very well but op wants to spend 5 grand... what do you want him to do with the other $4500? 😂😉