Many higher end preamps are dated and ugly, why is this?

Conrad Johnson, BAT, VTL are all very good preamplifiers, they are dated and just ugly.  Audio research is a prettier amplifier but it's not very well regarded due to it sounding more like a solid state, ie. Not really a tube preamp despite all those internal lightbulbs.

Cheaper preamps can be more pretty. Schitt makes a pretty preamp for about $1000. People like pretty.

D'Agostino by many is viewed as very attractive but kind of weird. 

jumia

Audiophiles discussing whether audio components are pretty and/or sexy -- is this a rejected SNL skit?

I really like the industrial design of my ARC LS15 tube pre amplifier 

I bought it in 1995 and still listen to it to this day But moreover l appreciate its build quality and tactile feel  Oh it's also made in the good old USA

The same applies to my VAC PA 100 100 tube amp that l also bought when l bought the ARC LS15 

It is VASTLY more important to me that my preamplifier - amplifier - DAC - streamer - CD transport/player - speaker array - every single one of them - must LOOK good (how they SOUND pales in importance by comparison)! 

My family and friends simply MUST gasp in astonished awe and delight whenever they feast their eyes on the STUNNINGLY GLORIOUS SIGHT of my gleaming high-end audiophile gear each and every time they enter my listening - er, viewing - room.