Is there a DAC ranking list?

This is a follow up from my previous thread seeking more definition and presence in my music.  Among other ideas, I was advised to get a new DAC and several brands were tossed out from $100 to $1700+. The world of DAC’s is large, and I’m wondering if there’s a ranking list for them, similar to Crinicles list for earphones.  I especially like the value ratings on that list, such as “Redefines the price bracket.”

Here’s a recap of my scenario:

I listen to jazz at lower volumes on radio.garden.com via my Apple iPad pro

My room is big, 20ft by 40ft, no carpeting or drapes, with a corner LP triangle

Apple AirPort Express Wireless Router a1392 300Mbps

B & O BeoLab 8000 powered speakers, 10ft from the LP 

Hsu ULS15 Mk II 15in sealed sub imid-room

Paradigm Monitor Series 7 12in sealed sub mid-room via wireless transmitter

Monoprice cables 10ft and 25ft, 22awg, 3.5mm plugs to RCA connections 

I am sure there are many good and great DAC’s out there.  But are there some that punch above their price category?  I also don’t want to pay a premium for one that exceeds the quality capabilities of the rest of my system.

My music sounds “A++” with my Moondrop Blessing headphones, so listening to radio.garden.com on my iPad is giving me the quality of sound that I am seeking for my speakers.

Also, I don’t know if I need a DAC with a preamp or a streamer.  Thx for any ideas you might have that could help me.

128x128tcotruvo

+1 @akg_ca 

I can’t see any worthy ranking below about a $3,000 price point. That’s the approximate starting threshold level and going north,....

@tcotruvo 

There was a 2018 DAC shootout on WBF, but the DACs were from $2k to $100k+.  Current best DAC seems to be the WADAX at $150k.  Generally speaking, to hear a significant sonic uptick over the typical box store offerings these high-end DACs start at ~$3k.  Consider buying used to save $, often 30-50%.

If you're shopping at the ~$1k level, IIRC a couple of years agos Gustard reviews seemed to suggest great price/performance, possibly a bargain at their price point.  Also Denafrips garners many positive reviews.  

@tcotruvo
“ … I’ve read several times a 2121 Audiogon thread “DAC That Punches Above Its Price Point”. …”

When you get more experienced, you will recognize this metaphor in bold popping up all-too-frequently. It is lame hyperbole pushing marketing puffery and BS.

Hint: When you see it quoted, do the eye-roll first, and then just walk away….full stop. Everything in this hobby is always built to it’s price-point, with a performance capability in lockstep.

op

Hamburgers? That’s an easy one. Without a doubt…the best burger is at the Anchor Bar and Grill in Superior, WI…$4 burgers, $6.25 if you want a 2/3lb one…fresh fries for $1.25. So you might say I’m looking for the DAC that matches their deal.

schiit bifrost mb or chord mojo -- with your view on burgers i suspect these dacs will work just fine for you...

more grist for your mill on the low end - equivalent of the 'best' 4 dollar burger... ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cv29Klqlsw

I would make the analogy of DACs more akin to automotive as opposed to burgers. You want a Volkswagen, Lexus, or Porsche. They all perform the same function… many are superior in every way… but there is an element of taste.