Has anyone compared Rogue RP-7 to Cary SLP05 and / or Audio Research Ref 5se?

Currently using Rogue RP-7 and considering moving to either Cary SLP05 or Ref 5se.  Looking for a little mid range bloom.  

Thanks in advance for recommendations, comments, etc.

Equipment:

Rogue RP-7, AGD Audions, Bricasti M3, Joseph Audio Perspectives, Cardas Clear

testrun

As much as I love that SLP-98p, the SLP-05 is in another league.  

Pretty much the opinion of those who are familiar with both of these Cary preamps.

Charles

I looked hard at "changing" my preamp to either a Rogue or Ref 5 this spring. But the more I squeezed out of my Sachs D2 in sound with tubes, fuses, cables, etc., I changed my mind and am very happy with it. I like Rogues attitude and respect AR's reputation.  

Had the 98 then moved to the 05.  No contest.

98 is vague sounding relative to the bigger brother.

Then moved onto ARC.  No looking back.

This thread has piqued my curiosity.

So for those "in the know", how does the SLP05 measure up with, say, an ARC Reference line stage, say the Ref 3 or Ref 5 SE, or even the older Ref 2 mk II?

Lots of ARC Reference preamps available on the used market, they come up for sale all the time, presumably to their popularity, and to the ever constant stream of new ARC models.  Used they are more reasonable cost wise, of course.

The Cary not so much availability.

My feeling… just on Audio Research is that the Reference 1 and 2 had some growing pains that finally got purged with the REF 3… since then each model like 3 then 3se… stepped forward with great certainty and has continued to push the envelope ever since. I have owned at least one ARC preamp and/or Phonostage for nearly 40 years… and most recently moved to all ARC REF components… why did I wait? Oh, yes… I couldn’t afford them. Used… highly recommended.