finding the weak link

I have been debating whether to post this and decided that the experience and insights of you all would be very helpful.

I am using primarily an Aurender A10 and Dr Feickert turntable as my sources with a Prima Luna Dialogue premium integrated amp (mostly using KT150's)  and Vienna Acoustics Liszt speakers. To upgrade my system further my thought was the the Prima Luna is the weak link. Any thoughts? If you agree, what are your thoughts for a replacement?

Thank you!!

rhach

@rhach 

Addendum

I rarely disagree with @ghdprentice but will do so somewhat this time. I will agree that the PrimaLuna is not the last word in high end audio and integrateds may have some compromises that aren't made in separates. At some point, you will want to go up the ladder to separates. But I'd also note that the PL is the Dialogue Premium which is their top tier with better parts. This is why I would not switch out the PL just yet.. IIRC, the phono preamp he has now pulls double duty and costs around $500. Price doesn't tell the whole story but it tells a lot of it. This is a starter phono preamp IMO and the reason I put it as second in the list of upgrades just behind the subs. I am partial to Rel because they integrate very well and bring a lot to the mains as well.. But, if you have the means, then certainly upgrading the PL is a worthy consideration. But it is my  preference to only upgrade one thing at a time. That way there is little or no confusion as to what caused any sound difference

I'm with artemus_5 on all that he describes.  I believe that you have a very nice system, one that provides a great foundation.  For making improvements my personal recommendation is to focus on your phono source first.  The turntable and tonearm are fine, but the phono stage and cartridge have significant room for improvement.  You will be amazed at what a higher-level cartridge can provide, and especially when paired with a better phono stage.  A Gold Note PH 10 or a Manley Labs Chinook are two very good choices.  If you remain in the Hana family then stepping up to the ML would provide very significant sonic rewards.  These are just a few examples, but the bottom line is to focus on the phono stage and cartridge.  From there, the upward journey begins.  Enjoy it!

Sounds like you’re asking three separate questions. Change digital, change analog, of change the PL.  With digital, you could add a dac. I’d look at RTR dacs as they are generally warmer. For analog, an upgrade of you cartridge would bring a Big Bang for your money and then a phono preamp.  As far as the PL amp, depending on your budget, separates might be a good avenue for you to check out. 

BTW, what is you budget for any and all changes?

All the best.

JD

I can't thank you guys enough, this is great and more than I possibly expected.

1. I will be swapping out the MoFi for a Manley Chinook Labs Chinook special. A new cartridge is in the works as well.

2. I have been pricing out REL's and that trigger will be pulled near term.

3. The question above by curiousjim bring the conversation back to the original intent. I have had questions in the past whether to upgrade from the PL was the right way to go or not. This posting was triggered by reading an exchange in a Vienna Acoustics group re: what amps people were using with their VA Liszts. While there weren't a huge number of responses to the question, the answers were startling in that people were using some serious amps to power their systems (Jeff Rowland, AVM, Devialet, Gryphon, Soulnote, etc). I began to look into a number of integrated amps (Rowland, AVM, Hegel, esp. demos) but was not sure that that was the right path. 

This exchange has been a real eye opener and I'm looking forward to seeing the impact of upgrading the phonostage, cartridge, and subwoofers. After all that, I'll reconsider the integrated amp, although I do not rule out separates. Thank you all very much again.