Esoteric X-01 D2

Folks,
Hoping for some more information on this player in terms of strengths, weaknesses, likes or dislikes. Of course, associated equipment would be appreciated with those preferences.

Have great day all,
Peter
mariasplunge
would suggest you check out my review of the XO1-D2 on dagogo.com, but i also have the EMM in. granted, its only 12hrs on it, so prelim impressions are just that (and i'll write a formal review on dagogo in which i compare the two). very quickly, the XO1 has a more firm foundation and better dynamics, not to mention build quality that isn't just 50% better, but 500% better. that said, the EMM doesn't sound like digital...its more resolving (the most resolving digital i've heard), eminently musical, and is nigh on the sweetest player i've heard (doing wonders for bad recordings).

quick thought: if you've undynamic speakers (planars / stats), i'd go w/ the Xo1. if i had horns, i'd go w/ the EMM. beyond that, its personal preference.

ultimately, you cannot go wrong with either. and any personal preference i may have (which i don't at present) is not necessarily yours. suggest you hear both---they sound similar, but the differences b/w the two might be meaningful to you.
to Mariasplunge:

I know it is considered "wrong" to change out multiple pieces of equipment at the same time but I had just gotten the new Krell EVO402 which was a very, very big upgrade over my Krell 400cx, the sound of which I knew very well.

I was eager to try something in the tube preamp area and was shopping for a ARC Ref3 preamp. The dealer I have used in the past had a ARC Ref3 that he had taken in trade and I was ready to jump but he said that he had just A/B tested the Ref3 against the BAT 52se and told me that it was clear that the BAT was superior. His ears had jibed with mine in the past and so the deal was done. It sounds great. who knows I may wind up with tubes all around someday. I have to say there is a resolution to the tubes where there is not only more detail but more "more" if you know what i mean. I hear woodiness on woodwinds, I hear more bell on the brass instruments. I hear different timbres from the same players on a record when they change their tone and dynamics. On vocals I hear more parts of the voice, the chest voice, head tone, throat chamber and I hear them in a way that is coherent and beautiful.

So now I am a BAT fan and firmly in the Esoteric D2 camp. I think with these two pieces of equipment there are very, very small (if any) further sonic upgrades to be had without a too huge investment on my part.

all in all I am even more amazed that the JM Lab Mini-Utopias I use (with a Utopia Sub) keep sounding better and better.

The whole bug for an system upgrade started when I was eager to move to the VTL S400 tube amp but no one would care to make a home audition possible, under any terms. Pretty strange for the price I thought. So I auditioned the Krell at home for a couple of weeks and it sounded great, so then I just went crazy and started making the wholesale changes. But right now I am typing this while I listen to the Mozart Gran Partita on a magical performance by Otto Klemperer (on a long ago out of print CD) and it is taking me to that special place. The whole family is out at the pool, the house is dead quiet, the dogs are asleep, the A/C is off and the music sounds incredible.
I have to agree that for some reason the Esoteric sounds great with tube preamps. I think I read somewhere that Teac uses ARC Ref 3 pres at shows when demonstrating their Esoteric cdps.

Huntermusic, I auditioned the BAT 52se when it first came out months ago. I think the BAT is a great piece. It has a lot of authority and dynamics normally found in ss gear. Any thoughts of upgrading to the REX?
Talking about the musical....
I replaced my Burmester 001 with an Ayre C-5xe then EMM two boxes SE ,finally the Esoteric X-01D2 + G-0RB.

X-01D2 alone is a very super high-end digital player, however when combined with G-0RB they become much more like
a well tunning Analog system.The search is over at least in the near future.
VSFANG

Thats good to know. I wondered how much that clock bit did to the sound. Could you describe what you are hearing over the single D2. I would be interested.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Seems like the D2 owners are enjoying themselves.

Tommy, how bout you. Going to make the leap and join the club?