Voltage mode vs current mode phono stages

Can someone explain the differences in layman's terms and why is one better than the other? 

rsf507

@dover Would you confirm if my guess on the Vd Hul Grail is correct? Like Lew, I did a bit more research on it, and it seems a very accomplished unit. 

@ledoux1238 

No it is as @lewm  stated - I have a bespoke moving coil step up using current mode/current sensing - the output is connected to the Marantz 7 phono (stage )  input.

It is not available commercially.

@lewm

"Suitable" = very low capacitance, I assume. 

Please excuse my ignorance and technical understanding, but I have a strong opinion that the + & - cartridge signal paths should be as similar as possible. Such a belief shuns any use of coaxial cable - yes, inductance not good.

On transimpedance phono inputs featuring RCA style inputs, such an assumption isn’t so intuitive. Knowledge of SME’s use of twisted pair phono cable construction sheds light perfectly on this scenario as each + & - path of their RCA outputs feature identical runs all the way back to the cartridge pins exhibiting perfectly balanced cartridge signals without XLR outputs. Continuing on that theme, SME only accesses the optional signal shield via a “drain” wire which exits the rear of the output RCA connector for optional noise control if needed - just tie it with chassis ground.

As far as keeping capacitance low, as long as each + & - cartridge signal path is again equal, I cannot see where that would hurt - Mogami W2549 works exceptionally well and is a well known low capacitance conductor.

@lewm 

My question was more about the effect of MI inductance on cartridge output impedance as frequency increases and how that affects the efficiency of current drive.

Seems like a question for PL. I would pose a similar inquiry for J Carr to the evolution of the Lambda Series of Atlas & Etna as their current delivery seems to be much improved over previous versions. I suspect lower inductance generators.

@ledoux1238 , Yes, I will report on what I think in my system. That is a lot of stuff to cram into a Lino C! I was going to get a Lino C but it turns out the Seta L plus is a better unit even though it is less versatile. 

Most of the differences we hear are in amplitude variation across the frequency band, bright, dark, warm, vivid are all caused by frequency variation to which we are quite sensitive. These variations can be caused by intension, our systems, resonances anywhere and acoustics and are way more prevalent than other errors such as distortion and group delays. 

Isn't the difference between a 'warm' and 'lean' sounding system a shift in frequency responses? 

@ledoux1238 IME on a system level that is often caused by distortion. The ear assigns a tonality to all forms of distortion. Lower orders (2nd- 4th) add warmth and they can mask the presence of the higher orders. If the higher orders are not masked, even in tiny amounts they cause harshness and brightness. The ear is keenly sensitive to them as it uses them to sense sound pressure.

For example in a phono section to know whether its a frequency response error causing the tonality or distortion, you have to measure the phono section with an inverse RIAA network to see how accurate it is. If its has flat response but sounds bright, distortion is likely the cause.