What size power cable?

How “big” does a power cable need to be for upstream components?  I get that amps can benefit from a large cable to carry plenty of current, e.g. 8-11 awg.  Although my preamp and phono preamp have robust power supplies, they can’t possibly benefit from such capacity, can they?  Extreme overkill is the norm in hi end, but is there any benefit to more than 12 or 14 awg on a preamp or phono preamp?  Much less digital components.

128x128lloydc

@lloydc - It’s not really the gauge that dictates how well a power cables performs on any specific components, but the type of copper, the gauge and type of the wire, the insulation and the cable geometry.

As an example, my DIY Source Power cable uses a 2 x 18 gauge Solid UP-OCC wire for the live conductor - that’s equivelent to 15 gauge, but the fact that it uses solid wire boosts its current carrying capacity to a much highrer level, than what a 15 gauge stranded wire could support.

My cables for power components use 2 x 14 gauge Solid UP-OCC wire - that’s equivelent to 11 gauge.

The other thing about using a lighter gauge wire

• you are limiting the use of that power cable to only source components
  • and YOU have to remember that it is a lighter gauge and not to be used on a power component

Many cable providers simply build a single duty cable and do not bother to provide cables rated for source components, probably due to the additional invetory they would have to keep on hand.

I use a smaller gauge to save money, because I buy wire by the foot and as a DIYer I want to save as much as possible and the light gague wire can reduce the cost of a cable by a signficant amount

But there are some companies out there that provide source power cables, so shop around.

Hope that helps - Steve

Many upstream components sound best with 14 gauge power cables. With that said trial and error based on your equipment and listening preferences is necessary.

I would recommend using a Tesla Power Wall.

Then regenerate AC to a dedicated circuit to power your system. 

Sounds fantastic. 

Most of the posts are listing to use heavy gage wires. 

The wires from your circuit breaker to your outlet are most likely Romex 14-2.

These are solid copper. 

We use stranded power cords because they are flexible,  not because they are better. 

Your amplifier will only momentarily require high power at real high sound passages.  You most likely have 100,000Mf of storage inside of your amplifier to handle these.