Question On Connecting Multiple Sources to TV, DAC, and Power Amp

I'll try and keep this simple and hope I explain myself sufficiently.

We have:

1. Fiber Optic going to the TV Box then out via HDMI to the TV HDMI 1.

2. Apple TV HDMI to TV HDMI2.

I want to connect a Blue Ray DVD/CD Player to HDMI3 on the TV.

The TV Audio Out is TOSLINK type Optical to a Bose System.

I also have a Kenwood KD500 Turntable going to a Kenwood C1 preamp then to the power amp and separate speakers. I'd also like to add an FM Tuner.

I'd like to eliminate the Bose and use one Audio Amp and a pair of speakers.

I have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital with USB, Coax, and Optical (toslink style) inputs and RCA Audio outputs that I'd like to feed the TV to.

I don't want to feed the Pro-Ject DAC/Preamp to the C1 preamp but the power amp has only 1 set of inputs.

Should I get a manual A/B switch to select either preamp to feed the power amp or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

gorquin

I’d like to eliminate the Bose

Yup, that’s step one fer sure! Bose absolutely sucks.

You have too many sources to manage to try to route through the TV. Get a good AVR — I’d highly recommend Yamaha — that has the features/inputs you need and get some good, high-value speakers from Wharfedale, Elac, etc. and you’ll be light years ahead of where you are now on every level.  You just plug all your sources into the AVR, connect it via one HDMI connection to your TV and it will take care of routing all your various sources to the TV via the single HDMI connection.  Just my $0.02 FWIW, and best of luck.

Thanks soix.

I've checked out a few AVR's including some recommended on Audiogon but it seems a lot of them have a THD that's no better than, or worse than,  an old Sound Source amp and preamp I have. I also have an Adcom GFA-545 I'd like to run in place of the Kenwood M1A amp.

Since the THD on some of these AVR's isn't as good as separate it also make me wonder what the phono specs are, which most don't list.

I've also read about issue with many HDMI switchers.

This may take some time.

Perhaps you should stop using THD as the deciding factor. I haven't paid attention to it since the 1970's.

Soix is correct. You need to invest in a modern AVR and use it as a hub for all the components. Personally,  I use Anthem, but there are many options. What I would recommend is that if you do upgrade, make sure the AVR has the capability to output the front channels independently. This will allow you to integrate a two channel system with a home theatre bypass option sometime in the future when you get the itch for a better musical experience.

THD is not a good indicator of how something will sound.  Things like power supply, output stage, etc. will have a far greater impact on sound than THD. 

I understand the logic. My point was that if the THD isn't as good as an Audio Source amp, my mistake on writing Sound Source, and they don't give specs on the phono section perhaps other specs aren't very good as well.

I agree that the THD spec isn't a great way to determine sound quality. Years ago, an audio engineer I worked for used to laugh at the Dr.'s and Lawyers who came in to his shop for mods and repairs. I remember him saying "They can't hear the difference between .001% distortion and .0001%.

Yes, if I go with an AVR I'd like to send the preamp out to a 2 ch setup. But, then I have to contend with what the AVR adds or detracts from the original signal wouldn't I?