Why is used audio equipment so undesirable?

I’ve upgraded many things over the past couple years and quite frankly there is limited interest and not much to be gained by getting rid of unused equipment. My dealer doesn’t want it. And it’s all fairly new stuff within a few years. It’s easier just to box it and store it away and give it to someone if a situation ever arises. Selling it is ridiculous as I’m lucky to get 30 or 40% Plus all the hassle negotiating when selling, so I keep it.

It’s risky buying used audio equipment so there is no interest even for very nice units. So I’ve got nearly half dozen pieces taking up a lot of space all sitting in their original boxes and maybe next time I buy some new speakers I’ll prepare a list and get a few thousand dollars after paying nearly 4 to 5 time more when new.

Would I buy a used preamp or speakers for $15-$20,000? that might be very risky. So I guess I understand why used audio is not that desirable. After buying something used, you may wonder if it would have sounded different if I bought it new? And there in lies the quandry

Much easier buying a used car.

emergingsoul

@emergingsoul

“ ,,,,there is limited interest and not much to be gained by getting rid of unused equipment. My dealer doesn’t want it. And it’s all fairly new stuff within a few years. It’s easier just to box it and store it away and give it to someone if a situation ever arises. Selling it is ridiculous as I’m lucky to get 30 or 40%…”

hmmmm … not exactly IMO sir! Not all preowned gear grouped en masse. Quality build high end that does not suffer from unbridled Seller hubris as to selling price is doing fine .

ALL pre-owned equipment has a comparatively large depreciation factor from new, just like cars. And some if it has a very VERY high rate of depreciation.

You haven’t specified what pieces are affected so I will offer some selective observations.

HOME THEATRE AVRs and RELATED EQPT

regardless of its age, this stuff slides on a scale like a bobsled to hell. The vast majority is grossly overpriced from new already with a general very dodgy build quality from China. Most have a very brief warranty period limited to only one year before they become boat anchors that are impossible to fix.
(A);The OEM manufacturers abandon providing replace parts supply shorty after the warranty period, as new models replace them.

(B) Professional techs refuse to service them now because of (A) in the first part, and more so, (B) the cost to repair exceeds the FMV of a serviced unit .

HENCE, Dealers don’t want any part of it.

CHEAP AMPS, SOURCES, SPEAKERS

Age has nothing to do with the marketplace shunning of most low-level strata gear. Even recent year issue models suffer from a tsunami of cheap option choices that render investing time and money into pre-owned units that are expensive to store and hard to sell. Ergo, Dealers don’t want them either. And that’s before they elect to carve out the segment for the expanding cohort of buyers, as dealer time wasters, who toss around nickels like they are manhole covers in the words of a local dealer.

QUALITY BUILD AND WELL -CARED FOR HIGH-END GEAR

Assuming it is properly priced, it sells on AGON , CAM and USAM in good form.AND quickly. Quality matters …big time. Dealers seek these out as viable budget fits for many consumers. 

COVID AND THE PENDING RECESSION

This is the 800-lb gorilla in the room. ‘Nuff said.

When I was younger and had less money I bought used, from a dealer. As I got older and my purchases were much better thought out and expensive I would keep a component for ten to twenty years. For instance I bought a new Pass x350 and traded it in 15 years later for $500 less than I paid for it… final cost $2.77 / month. What a deal.

So, first. Having a dealer that accepts trade-ins is important. This gives him the opportunity to give you a “discount” from MSRP under the guise of “trade-in”… that does not violate their agreement with the manufacturer. My dealer got out of the business of reselling… he gives it to a third party that resells on the internet.

Having a long termed relationship with a dealer is useful as well.

My tastes have always been greater than my budget (new prices anyways).   Like many audiophiles I research gear, check user comments and reviews and try to pick gear that I feel provides the max bang for the buck so to speak and has a good potential for meshing well with my other gear.   Used gear or factory direct is my go to given I do not have deep pockets.  

The Op's assertion is so stupid that I don't believe that it was meant for any reason other than to be provocative. I almost always buy used and have had great success selling used. If you don't do well selling used, it is usually for one of two reasons.  First, the piece is not popular with potential buyers, or second, it's an obscure brand which may be wonderful, but buyers shy away because of potential problems with having it serviced as well as lack of professional and user reviews.

Just a ridiculous thread.

I have been buying used since what I guess I would say is upped my game.  I cannot afford this level of a system without buying used. So far so good.