Disadvantages of buying old solid state.

I am looking to upgrade from a single ended amp to a balanced because of the purchase of a new balanced pre. Due to budgetary reasons I am forced to buy a used unit. I am interested in the Pass .5 series as what I've heard of the .8 I was not happy with. There are those who prefer the .5. sound as well. I was told however that buying such an old unit I might find that the bias has changed. Any experiences with buying old solid state and any negative consequences? I would very much like to hear anyone's views on the matter.

Thank you.

roxy1927

@roxy1927 I had to sell off a few beloved 20+ year old Class A/AB SS amps for scrap parts because the boards were deteriorating and no longer available. Gave up after 2-3 board repairs, traces going bad, cracks from heat.  Roll the dice.  Some of the top manufactures back their products after 10+ years, yet rare.  

Over 20yrs old, plan on buying a 2nd one for spare parts or pick a good one backed by someone like Bryston, ARC, Pass, who may actually help you when needed with some kind of guarantee it will last more than a few years more.  If not, simply consider it a throw-away, and this is an option some take.  

Perhaps an anomaly and knock on wood, but my son and I have an Aragon amp bought used in the early 90's, that is still running strong.  Two newer, but still old Aragon multi-channel amps are doing likewise.  Alas, a Phase Linear 400MkII amp bit the dust a decade or so ago, but it was "born" in the late 70's.  However, the last time we fired-up its companion pre-amp, it worked seemingly fine.  And a Pioneer tuner from the late 70's remains going strong. 

Yet to change the subject a bit, computers, smart phones and tablets etc., seem to have more limited lives not due to hardware failures but due to Operating System and program and App advancements.  For example, we have a Zenith IBM compatible computer from the early 80's, that still boots from its huge 30MB hard drive and runs the programs designed for it.   

Amps over time tend to loose their oomph… not fail. It is a very slow process of sonic degradation… unlikely something one would notice day by day. But put in a refurbished or new amp and the difference is striking.

Go to the Schiit Audio website and look at the Aegir and Vidar.

Less than $1,000.

New.

With a warranty.

15 day trial period in your own listening room.

Probably will sound better than anything used within 5 times the price.

While I hated the name of Schiit for some years… seriously masochisIc name. After a search for a friend of mine for a great budget DAC, I had to give up and buy a Schiit DAC (a Gungnir as an experiment)… then a Yggdrasil for my friend… then I bought a couple more pieces for my office system. Really impressive for budget components. I certainly appreciate enthusiasm… but they are budget components. Competitive with components a couple times there cost.