Tube or Amp Problem? Please help.

I have a Melody El34 Integrated Amp that I use with 2 pairs of Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-z. Last week I was listening to music when everything went all horrible sounding and one of the tubes lit up like blue fireworks. I turned off the amp and looked at it the next day. To my, admittedly untrained eye, the tube looks fine but when I checked the bias it was at .32 (the amp says to set to .40) so I tried to set it to .40 but it would only go to .34. All of the other tubes I can set to .40. I have never had this issue with this amp. Is it the tube or did something happen to the amp? If it's just the tube will it be ok to have one set to .34 and the other .4 or should I set both tubes to .34, all 4? I would buy a new pair but they were expensive and on top of that don't seem to be offered anymore.

128x128jkontuly

Good advice above. If peak performance is what you are after then replace both sides. I would recommend ordering two complete sets. I always have a spare set.  While not tremendously unreliable… tubes wear out and occasionally fail. With a thousand hours on them, I would (me) swap them all out. Tubes are getting more expensive… as a hedge, having an extra set doesn’t hurt. 

Tube is probably bad and the bias from the resistors is probably also gone bad.  Check under the hood to see if you see any burn marks on any part, and have the tube tested.  

If you are close to New Jersey, I would help you take a look and evaluate the issue.

Happy Listening.

Without cross checking with other tubes, I wouldn't run the amplifier. There may be a problem with the screen voltage being out of spec (which can cause tube failure, distortion, and/or inability to increase or decrease plate current to spec). The amp will probably continue to eat tubes on that socket. 

A lot of times it is bad solder joints that causes these kinds of problems after a good amount of time of normal operation -- and simply reflowing solder joints solves the problem.

Bigkidz thanks for the kind offer. I used to live in Brooklyn. If i still did I would definitely take you up on your offer but I know live in LA which is a bit too far!

gs5556, I was able to find some spare tubes. I put them in and was able to reduce the bias for the tube location that had the fireworks. Hopefully, that means it was just the tube and not the amp, correct?

@jkontuly if the bias pot had range when turning left and right, then the amp is ok. However, you want to make sure that bias will remain steady and not drift.