Anthem STR Power Amp vs Parasound JC5

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with the Anthem STR Power amp and the Parasound JC5? Both amps seem like world class amps with similar power ratings (400W @8ohms). For context, I'm interested in them to power some Paradigm Persona towers in a 7.2.4 atmos system that is 70% games/movies and 30% music. I currently have a Parasound Halo A21 and I love it but was curious about the Anthem STR as it's gotten rave reviews (and is the sister company of Paradigm so should be a good match).

The only head to head comparison I know of so far ( HometheaterReview ) mentioned that the Anthem seemed to have deeper power reserves than the JC5 and I've gotten the impression so far that the JC5 is great for music but may not be better than the Anthem for movies. Any thoughts on that?
tistru

^^^^No it won't sound warm/dry at all ! How long you had one again?

I had a pair of JC1s and an A21 for several months.  They do indeed sound dry in comparison to other amps.

@auxinput What other amps do you think are not as dry as the Parasound A21. I recently had a Parasound A21+ and I thought it was rather warm sounding. I liked it and traded it in for a KRELL XD which is also a slightly warm amp from my frame of reference.

@jdaniel - preamp was Krell S1200.  Speakers were B&W 805 D3.

@yyzsantabarbara  - I had directly compared the Parasound with Emotiva XPR-1, Bryston 7b3 and Classe M300 monoblocks.  Many other amps are not as dry/warm.  I think the Krell XD could be described as warm but more of a smooth/lush type of signature.  The Parasound amps are warm/dry sounding.  Parasoiund has incredibly clean midrange, but the highs are somewhat dry and etched sounding.

I’m also puzzled as to the description of the A21 as dry.  I think as audiophiles, we get locked into mindsets about sonics and characteristics that we come to value or loathe.  As do amp manufacturers, and lets face it, none of them are perfect and neither are we.

So what one person may decide sounds dry, is really hard to prove or quantify.  So we trot out our resumes, and how many high end amps we’ve owned, and how many decades we’ve been in the hobby, all done in order to win a debate, that we are right, and all others are wrong.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  And there are probably 20 to 30 or more top shelf amp manufacturers.  Parasound is one of them.  Just like all the rest, they tailor the sonics to achieve whatever their goals are.  Either you like them, or Pass, or Krell, or you don’t.  And many people will come up with a different favorite.