Speaker Stand Height And Recommendations For Spendor SP100 Speakers

It has been a very long time and I do not have the Info to make a sound decision on a Set of Speaker Stands for my recently acquired SP100's.

My sitting Ear Height is 38 1/2" and Speakers will be 9 Feet away.

Tweeter in SP100 is 17 1/2" to Center from the Bottom of the Cabinet. Sound Anchors told me recently that their 4 Post Stand for the SP100 is 16" High. In addition to another puzzlement is they also told me Top Plate will be 14" Wide & 16" Depth but I am measuring the SP100 Cabinet as 14 7/16" Wide & 17" Depth.

My Footers will add 1 1/2" approximately which equals 35" for Tweeter Height from the Floor. I recall the Original Sound Anchor 3 Post Stand had two adjustable Studs at the back of the Stand.

My questions are;

1) Does someone have a pair of the Original Sound Anchor SP100 Stands and could I trouble you to give me a dimension from the Bottom of the Horizontal Base Tube to the Speaker Top Plate at the front.

2) Does the SP100 require that the Tweeter be at a Sitting Ear Height? If it does, can you shim the Front Base of the SP100 to accommodate.

3) It is likely that I will go for the Sound Anchors but does anyone have any other Speaker Stand Recommendations.

SP100's will be on a Second Level suspended Plywood Floor with Carpet. My previous Sound Anchor Stands provided good stability on this semi wonky Plywood Floor but I would like some recommendations since I have been far removed from the Market.

Thanks in advance,

David

djohn

Look at Atacama, they have all kinds of stands. I have three pair of their stands, great quality, made in UK. If I could find stands for my unconventional sized tannoy eatons, then you should be succesful in finding stands for the spendors, the answer is Atacama. 

I owned SP100's in the late '90's for about 7 years and just bought a used pair again one month ago. I called Sound Anchor about the height and they said 16" inches for their stands, but I find 17.5 better for me. It will depend of course on the height of your listening chair, but that said, I don't find them to be really picky about the height. I do like to have the midrange driver around ear height.  

Owned SP-100s years ago and ran them with Sound Anchor stands—do not remember the height but did not try to elevate the tweeter to ear height (too high) but rather if I recall correctly my ears were roughly between the mid and tweet. Great speakers—had that midrange realism that is so important. If I had them today I would go with the thin steel open stands—they look nicer and present a less enormous visual for such large box speakers.

If you don’t want to change stands, use one or more paving slabs to increase relative tweeter height and provide stability or add taller feet to chair to decrease relative tweeter height. (SP2/2 owner)

I would also say to the OP that I think from what I’ve seen that Spendor does not endorse Sound Anchors and seems to prefer lighter, open architecture steel stands, although I’m sure that wood would work well too, like the aftermarket ones that are made for the large Harbeth 40’s.

I’m doing a hybrid solution, with 11" cherry wood stands made for me by Timbernation (solid top and bottom, (4) 2" pillars) sitting atop a Starsound SP100 support that I used for a dozen years underneath large floorstanders. They are so effective at draining vibrational energy and making speakers perform better that I didn’t want to give them up. The new stands are arriving on Wednesday. I’m looking forward to trying it all out.

I’m thinking differently than they do about stands, but here’s a link to what they make to support the classics, which are basically very much the same as the SP100.

Spendor Classic Speaker Stands (Pair) - Analogue Seduction