I don't want to beat a dead horse but I'm bugged.

I just can't clear my head of this. I don't want to start a measurements vs listening war and I'd appreciate it if you guys don't, but I bought a Rogue Sphinx V3 as some of you may remember and have been enjoying it quite a bit. So, I head over to AVS and read Amir's review and he just rips it apart. But that's OK, measurements are measurements, that is not what bugs me. I learned in the early 70s that distortion numbers, etc, may not be that important to me. Then I read that he didn't even bother listening to the darn thing. That is what really bugs me. If something measures so poorly, wouldn't you want to correlate the measurements with what you hear? Do people still buy gear on measurements alone? I learned that can be a big mistake. I just don't get it, never have. Can anybody provide some insight to why some people are stuck on audio measurements? Help me package that so I can at least understand what they are thinking without dismissing them completely as a bunch of mislead sheep. 

128x128russ69

We want to try and understand this divide, do we not?

The longer a question sits unanswered, the greater the error in the formulation of the question. Not the grand question, mind you, but the complexity and the points of debate and qualities/bits of the given question, that sits in our individual minds.

Here is an overtly critical aspect of the question component set --that few ever venture into finding and understanding. It goes deep into everything in our world.

It’s the why of mathematics, and science, and linearity in thinking, and dogmatism, scientism, the why of the idea and execution/creation of ’engineering’ by the renaissance creative types...and so on.

Why such things like excellence in open creativity is not just feared but hated with passion by a notable percentage of human population. Why the ’natural’ (person who can do impossible seeming things) is feared and hated. Why Pareto distribution exists.

To exaggerate for framing and parallax depth of view creation..... this is why ASR is not about creative people, at all. ASR is a love letter to human mental linearity tied to being a blunt instrument of war, based in very deep fundamental fears against the creative and adventurist lateral thinking mind. Why it will, as long as humans exist as they do..why it will remain among us.

ie, music is about creativity and lateral expansion, flowery language (in high end audio), which is required in the creation of the new (the new in audio, finding it’s voice, solving those complex unknowns)... and measurement is about hammers and boxes, and safely marching up and down the square in green uniforms.

If one wants to understand these never ending discussions, and why they will not end, ever....then this is an essential video.

This is about music, this forum. this is filled with the creative types, in at least some greater part of their expression, overall.

Thus it draws the linear minded conservative types to it like a zealot is drawn to correcting error as it sees danger to itself in those differences. This mind type will NEVER stop trying to kill it off with all the force of it’s being.

It’s a fight between consciousness and unconsciousness, in life and living to some degree, in the expression of human growth and having a viable growing future.. Probably more than you might think.

forums like audiogon, the idea of subjective reality and creativity is 1,000% essential to to humanity and it’s future.

Whereas... the idea of ASR, is to kill that, with vehemence. To kill the very thing that gave it life, shape, and a future. Excessive rigor and framing to the point that it has no future, as real world paths have curves, skips, blanks, and meandering.

Overt Linearity kills, if it is taken too far. Scientific rigor also has it's very important place! It’s a simple fact tha overt rigor, imposed - is dangerous to creativity. rigor and framing and linearity is good in the main/middle but not in the sum. If one watches the video in this post and, critically...understands it contents... this will become quite clear.

That brings me to another point about the products reviewed by ASR and their ilk. Why the obsession with what other people spend on gear and their insistence that anything over $1500 is just wasted money? 

I would be more concerned with why it bugs you so much when all they do is measure equipment and publish results. It's a rather unemotional thing.

I would be more concerned with why it bugs you so much when all they do is measure equipment and publish results. It's a rather unemotional thing.

not true at all. the negativity at that website is allowed to run rampant. It's out of balance.

the balance attempt is evident at audiogon, as you are allowed to post here.

If I tried to post at ASR, similar to how I post here at audiogon.....I'd be removed in almost seconds.

So no, it's entirely emotional over at ASR, with a false cloak of reason and correctness as a cover story.

To exaggerate for framing and parallax depth of view creation..... this is why ASR is not about creative people, at all.

I would estimate that overall the intelligence of ASR posters is above average. As opposed to typing unfounded meritless attacks that further the divide as opposed to bridging a gap which you claim to want to do, how about spending 5 minutes on Google? The correlation between intelligence and creativity is well known and researched. The relationship breaks at about 120, i.e there is no additional advantage but even studies show it may extend.

Product, process and device physicists and engineers are literally tasked with doing what has never been done before, or doing it cheaper, more efficiently, etc. They spend much of their working life creatively applying the knowledge they have obtained. Knowledge is their tool just like a guitar is a tool to the musician. It is not their failing that you do no not see the creativity in what they do.

Thus it draws the linear minded conservative types to it like a zealot is drawn to correcting error as it sees danger to itself in those differences. This mind type will NEVER stop trying to kill it off with all the force of it’s being.

Really now. I have read some of the political discussions here. Pretty conservative bunch.

Your post, a hostile diatribe at best, at worst is ultimately an attack meant to silence an opposing view while disguising it as freedom fighting. Your post lacks humanity, understanding, and most of all shows a lack of creativity of thought in your inability to understand an opposing view.