UGH...The tired, "BEST" Rock guitarist thread

Only because  I found a REALLY  good  copy of terrible  Ted's debut(his best IMO) yesterday, I'm sharing this one. Ted describing the electric  guitar God hierarchy gets my vote. I tapped out after Dog Eat Dog(before Derek St Holmes was dropped.) Those 2 albums and early Amboy Dukes still sound great to me.

tablejockey

"For me Eddie was best rock guitarist long before Ted said so…"

johhnycamp5- I knew from the first time I heard VH's cover of "You Really Got Me" in 1978 that EVH was different and, unique. After seeing VH, it was confirmed.

Ted is so polarizing, I think it's cool he mentions EVH as a "BEST".

Mastery, passion, intelligence, creative genius, humility, and modesty...Mahavishnu John McLaughlin had it all. With Miles and then with MO...transcendent.

But maybe you don't count him as "Rock".

IMO Hendrix was the greatest in Rock history in that case.  Beck, Page, Clapton, FZ (and Dweezil), SRV, EVH, Larry Carleton, you name it...none contributed as much to the development of "Rock" as Jimi did in his too short life on the scene.

You dudes all need to chill.  Maybe take a journey to the center of your mind.  🤣

" Maybe take a journey to the center of your mind."

bigtwin- +1

Amboy Dukes LP's fortunately are always in the 3/$10 bin, but I haven't found an unmolested copy yet. I have the debut and "Call of the Wild".

@crustycoot  Mahavishnu John McLaughlin did have it all. Carlo and John together, just wow! Larry Coryell another great in the Fusion genre.

In more straight rock genre, I also very much enjoy dual leads such as Allman Bros., Wishbone Ash, Quicksilver Messenger Service. Rodney Stewart had a fair share of very nice leads, Jeff Beck and Ronnie Wood to name a couple. My fav Stones lead, Mick Taylor, saw him live after splitting with band, very very nice.

The other thing I'd add about leads in general, is while we often think of solos when thinking about leads, its the small gestures and flourishes  when in background that make a great lead as much or more than the solos.

Funny thing about leads, I notice much of today's youth don't care for guitars in the manner spoken of here. Very few guitar solos and guitars way down in mix. Synths dominate. Rock only a very small genre today, best guitar players have long been migrating to other genres. OP original post reflects this present state, mentioning "tired", which is apt due to what will likely be the same old rehashing of mostly long gone bands and leads.