This cable game is making my head spin

Hello all

I'll start by listing my system for reference.

Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black cart.

Tokyo Sound Phono stage (A late 90's Japanese Audio company)

Aric Audio Unlimited all tube preamp

Odyssey Khartago w/ upgraded power supply and internal wiring

Divine Acoustics Proxima speakers

Now the story of my Frankenstein cable setup.  When I started purchasing cables I found an independent cable maker online who used silver in all his cables. I had purchased 3 power cables for my phono pre, preamp and amp. Unfortunately we had a falling out and I decided not to purchase any more cables from him. I was very green in the whole cable game and I still am but have learned a bit since. Most notably is how silver can brighten a system and the Ortofon 2M black is known as a bright sounding cart to begin with.

Being on a budget and wanting to upgrade all my interconnects at once I came upon vintage western electric interconnects being sold on here and elsewhere. Purported "giant killers" so I bought those for the time being at $114 a pair. But I needed a phono cable and being as green as I am/was thought you needed a cable with an attached ground and extra shielding. I couldn't find a western electric specific phono cable so I bought an Audio Sensibility impact SE phono cable. For speaker wire I went with the Belden 9497 from the same place I got the western electric. A nice budget cable and also a purported "giant killer". For my turntable I  got a western electric power cable from the same place.

So I'm running 3 silver power cables to phono amp, preamp, amp and a western electric power cable to the turntable. Audio Sensibility phono cable. Western Electric interconnects from phono to preamp and preamp to amp, and the Belden 9497 speaker wire. What a mess right lol.

I want to streamline all my cables so I bought a pair of Audio Sensibility impact se interconnects. Same make as my phono cable. When I put them in between the preamp and amp I was shocked how dull and lifeless the sound was. Granted they are not broken in and only went through the 3 day burn in process Audio Sensibility offers but I was not expecting that dramatic of a change. The phono cable sounds good so maybe it is break in? Or the phono cable being OCC copper is taming some of the harshness of the Ortofon cartridge but the interconnect from preamp to amo is taming it too much?

I'd like to start auditioning cables from different manufacturers in the "mid-fi" price range and actually get this done right this time around. Given my system is there any advice to be offered on where I should start? I don't want things too bright sounding but not as lifeless as the Audio Sensibility (occ copper) either. And I'm a sucker for lush mid bass and mids hence the all tube preamp.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help!

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

@decooney

The newer Cardas Clear Beyond, Clear Reflections are not as warm as the old reference, golden matrix, etc… but they are on the warm side, slightly emphasizing the bass and attenuating the details.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but this is how they sound in the spectrum of cable companies products.. I have had several pair of Clear, Clear Beyond, and Clear Reflection interconnects as well as power cords and compared them directly with Wire World, DH Labs, Transparent, Nordost, Harmonics (several versions), for nearly a year, Nirvana, Straight Wire, and a couple more. I have compared them on several systems. They are, and have been for decades notably on the warm side. This is not a criticism, it is just how they sound. In many systems, this is what you need.

@ghdprentice that makes sense given the other cables you are comparing to. You hear what you hear and that’s what matters. I wonder if you’d feel my other Analysis Plus Crystal OCC RCA interconnects are warm sounding too. Different from all of my prior Cardas for sure.  

I’d be curious to know which is warmer to your ears, Cardas Clear RCA interconnect vs. Wireworld Eclipse 8 (the version with OCC-7N Copper and those Silver clad contacts) - if by chance you compared or took notes on the Eclipse 8s?

@decooney

I’ll have to look around and see what WireWorld I still have around. I have gone through a purge of the ridiculous pile of expensive cables I was not using.

Long ago I used to take notes… came up with a detailed rating system. Spent hundreds and hundreds of hours evaluating cabling (speaker cables, interconnects, and power cords) in different configurations of components. I learned a lot. I don’t bother any more.

There were a couple things I was surprised at the consistency of across time, one of which has been at the consistent warmth of Cardas. Every time, in every system (this works well in many, many systems) they are warm in comparison to all but notably warm cables. My dealer carries Cardas, and loves them… so he keeps dropping them by for me to try. I recognize everyone has different systems, preferences, and perceptions… so there are lots appropriate observations as there is no real empirical ruler… but this generality of mine has been reinforced repeatedly over decades… so I feel somewhat obligated to say so. Just trying to be helpful to the general community.

I will say that until you get into very highly designed cables the greatest predictor as to the sound character is Copper (a hierarchy of the actual CU quality / character within this category), silver coated copper, hybrid copper/silver wire, all silver… tends to be warm —> cool / detailed. Which it sounds like you are alluding to.

@ghdprentice Thanks for your thoughts and responses.  Actually, I'm referring more to varying levels of cool/warm within higher quality copper ICs. I bailed on silver and silver over copper a few years back. Nice, but not my cup of accentuated tea. Most silvers were not a good match for my last two pairs of tube/mono amps or prior SS amps. Your results may vary of course.  

I've probably wasted a lot of time trying too many over a few decades like you, and learned a lot too. I've done some factory beta version demos for a few MFGs over the years too. Past few years I've come across some occ/ohno cables with non-soldered machine-crimped connections that lean more towards silver sound, and TheCableCo has confirmed similar findings in their knowledge base. Today, I may go back and revisit a few over again.  Probably a waste of time, but it can be fun too. Thanks again for your responses.  👍 

@decooney

Thanks for your response. Yes, it can be fun.

Cool about you zeroing in on the occ/ohno cable. I completely understand your interest. It is really fascinating to zero in on subtle differences in the materials and isolation techniques. I spent a lot of time noting the difference with earlier systems of mine with different formulas of copper. My systems at that time we’re high resolution and mostly solid state. Copper was usually the best solution. As my systems evolved, then silver coated copper struck the right balance.

I have to say that my experience has been that as components get better one can move up on the metal scale. The very best cables I have heard are Nordost Odin 2. Heavy silver. Upper end Nordost are incredible… lower level not so much. The Nordost Odin 2 are just frighteningly good with the right components. But the average cost of my components is $20K and the Odin 2 interconnect $17K… after a week… I had to yank them from my system as they were starting to sound too good.

I guess what I have learned is that you work with and carefully differentiate the materials / technology that works with your current system and close variants. As you move up in the compliment of components to really high end stuff the components require greater neutrality to sound the best. This is why the upper tiers of Transparent, Nordost, and some of the other brands exist. I use almost all Transperant now. I remember connecting a set of Transparent speaker cables (and Straight Wire interconnects) to my system thirty years ago and clasping my hands over my ears in horror… but in my current, much better system… the same interconnects sound great. So, it all depends on your current system.