Difusers on the speakers?

I’ve read hundreds of posts on this forum about room treatments,

Today the following occured to me

• Many posts talks about room treaments - specifially diffusers - and how their placement benefits sound quality by dispersing/absorbing reflected sound waves
    • my speakers are a rectangular box 10" wide and 40" tall with a very flat front
    • it occured to me that having some type of diffuser (or absorbtion material) on the front of them might improve sound quality

My guess is that speakers with a slightly curved front has a buit in diffuser

Has anyone tried this?

What was the result?

Cheers - Steve

williewonka

What do you find objectionable?

Hard to cure what you've not really described....room treatments v. the speakers themselves are 2 very different cans of worm..... ;)

@theaudiotweak , went to your site....liked the planars (dipole fan), but not in the market.  I'll need to browse further later.....*G*

@williewonka   Surely if a speaker requires diffusers attached, the manufacturer would fit them?  And design them?  And carry out listening tests?

There are speakers with convex front baffle that are said to reduce unwanted reflections.

Suggest you leave it to the speaker designers or else become one if you think you know better.

Avs Jerry I am associated with 2 websites neither show the laminar device or the music fan nor a planar nor a (di pole fan). A surface pattern treatment patented by Bud Purvine called the EnABL process a type of shear wave thought to be a Rayleigh wave. The pattern can be applied to any vibrating surface including drivers, cabinets and walls to reduce interfering energy. Tom

@newbee

Folks have been surrounding their tweeters with thick felt for ages.

Here is a good source for thick felt to surround tweeters. High wool content, up to one inch thick and either white or grey color. These are already cut into circles and come as large as 8 inches in diameter - so just cut the center out to match your tweeter diameter. Option of adhesive backing.