Local pick up only…

I am seeing more and more ads specifically for speakers where the seller is accepting local pick up ONLY. As much as I understand why this could be very convenient for the seller, it definitely limits the buyer options. Sure the shipping prices are getting higher but, is this where the used market classifieds are heading?

128x128analoguefan

I had to post on this. Just this weekend I sold my towers. Damn the shipping costs were going to be insane. I was really worried and they were white, look hot but not for everyone. I just had a bad feeling.

I am in the Bay Area. First offer came in from Sacramento. Negotiated and done. You know he drove down and was with his son. They listened liked and then they boxed them up themselves and carried them out. It was amazing.

I was dreading the entire event and it turned out awesome.

Strangers in your house I get it but I’m a local pickup fan now for life. I didn’t have to touch those speakers from their listen to a wave goodbye as they drove away.

Ran in cracked a beer and giggled. Sold and gone in 24 hours. And didn’t lift a finger. Edit: I guess a lie. I did have to go get the boxes into the living room (-:

It’s not just the shipping costs or taxes that people are concerned about.  

Many don’t realize this, but carriers (at least UPS) will only insure for damage if “they” box the item up themselves.  Even if i box the speakers or any other item in its original container, all insurance covers is a loss by the carrier.  

So that 2K pair of speakers I insure for 2K and box up myself and ship gets damaged in transit?  I eat the cost of the repair or loss of value to the new owner or have to pay to have it shipped back.  I could end up losing shipping costs x 2 plus the actual money I got for the sold item.  

That’s why shipping sucks so hard and folks are willing to take less money (normally) for a local sale, regardless of payment type.

I shipped a Magnepan last year, UPS, was damaged in shipping (original box) and I received a prompt, full refund...

Lucky for you.

I've never experienced that with few occasions things were broken enroute to me. 

I've also been told each time I ship something that damage will not be covered unless the UPS packs the item regardless of original box or not.

"Many don’t realize this, but carriers (at least UPS) will only insure for damage if “they” box the item up themselves.  Even if i box the speakers or any other item in its original container, all insurance covers is a loss by the carrier.  "

This policy may vary by carrier and even locality.

This past fall, I shipped a $6K amplifier with Fed-Ex Ground in the original double boxes.  It was accepted by Fed-Ex as fully insured.  The  receiving clerk did examine the packing before approving it, though.