New to vinyl, where to start?

Hello all,

I was recently gifted an Audio-Technica turntable, and I would like to get started with a vinyl system. Previously, my “audiophile” set up consisted of an iFi DAC that I found on Audiogon and a Sennheiser HD569. Maybe not quite audiophile sound, but very effective for my student-sized budget. 

My question is this: given a budget of $500, how can I get the best sound out of this new turntable? My initial thought was to find a used HD 650 for ~$300 and a good tube amp for ~$200. Is this a good place to start or should I consider other elements such as updating the cartridge? I’m new to the world of analog sound so I would appreciate any advice you all might have. 

128x128saintsaens_op61

Do you currently own albums? Have you been to a record store and priced new records? 

I would think about this and how far down this rabbit hole you want to go? Vinyl can be fun and sound excellent but it is an arena that requires a certain level of commitment and budgeting… 

@photomax, yes I own a few records. Currently I have a complete set of Beethoven symphonies and some other individual symphonies and concertos. New albums aren’t cheap but I’m willing to spend time finding bargains. There’s one local store that has a few shelves of used vinyl for $2 an album. 

That’s also why I’m leaning towards upgrading my headphones, as I can use a good pair of headphones with either analog or digital. 

That's actually a sweet little cartridge-no need to upgrade it. Herb Reichert examined it in Stereophile and found it to be quite good for the money.  I bought one and was shocked how good it was compared to my Benz-Micro. To get the most from vinyl it is helpful to learn how to set up and adjust the various parameters which a given turntable allows. Ensuring it is level, placing it on a solid platform, stylus tracking force, keeping records and stylus clean, etc. A number of basic tools are needed such as stylus force gauge, brushes for records and stylus and a few others. There are many good set up videos on YouTube. Michael Fremer of Analog Planet also has lots of set up advice but be cautious because he gets very esoteric. Stick to his basic stuff. To me, getting the most from vinyl is about optimizing everything you can. It is also a lot of the fun.

There’s more fidelity that can be had from the LP120XUSB. You can easily upgrade the stylus to the VM95 nude Shibata or microline.... or you could even take the plunge for something like Nagaoka MP200, or AT-VM540ML. You can add an isolation platform or better feet, change the RCA cables, add a better mat, damp the underside of the platter with Flexseal, line the plinth with modeling clay, add O-rings to the tonearm, and add weighted grip tape to the counterweight to shorten the moment of inertia. I have several other "more respectable" TTs, but this is my daily driver... I think it has more capability than most folks have tried to squeeze out it, and I’m duly impressed with the sound I’m getting from this humble TT on what I consider to be a pretty good system.