Amir and Blind Testing

Let me start by saying I like watching Amir from ASR, so please let’s not get harsh or the thread will be deleted. Many times, Amir has noted that when we’re inserting a new component in our system, our brains go into (to paraphrase) “analytical mode” and we start hearing imaginary improvements. He has reiterated this many times, saying that when he switched to an expensive cable he heard improvements, but when he switched back to the cheap one, he also heard improvements because the brain switches from “music enjoyment mode” to “analytical mode.” Following this logic, which I agree with, wouldn’t blind testing, or any A/B testing be compromised because our brains are always in analytical mode and therefore feeding us inaccurate data? Seems to me you need to relax for a few hours at least and listen to a variety of music before your brain can accurately assess whether something is an actual improvement.  Perhaps A/B testing is a strawman argument, because the human brain is not a spectrum analyzer.  We are too affected by our biases to come up with any valid data.  Maybe. 

chayro

Jssmith, I appreciate your comments but I wouldn’t trust Amir’s opinion on judging the sound of anything. He’s obviously a horrible listener and the pure fact is he’s a measuring geek. He knows nothing about the quality of the sound of products. 

In the late 1970's I worked at a high-end audio shop in DC and they purchased what was then a "sophisticated" A/B switching unit, which allowed the user to switch back and forth between a pair of amplifiers (among other things).  I remember setting up a customer for an extended A/B comparison between a McIntosh 2205 and a Luxman LRS (Laboratory Reference System) power amp.  After a LONG audition the customer ordered the LRS amp, saying he thought that sounded "smoother" than the McIntosh.  I later found out that our tech had ordered a new main board for the switching unit, as it illuminated the lights for unit A and unit B when you pressed the button to make the switch, but the electronics inside the unit were not actually switching amplifiers...so my customer was actually only listening to the McIntosh amp.  When I found that out, I called him and let him know the situation, but he enjoyed the Luxman so much, he decided to keep it!

No, it's not placebo. A placebo effect is short lived, leaving a dead patient. Placebo effect is the lousiest of analogies to use. If someone still enjoys what they're hearing over the long run, it's because it sounds good to them and is the antithesis of the"placebo effect". In fact, it reinforces the view that long term listening is the deciding factor.

All the best,
Nonoise

I think we both know the  Placebo effect was merely a metaphor. This listener believes one device was sounding better than another when in fact it was the same device all along.