Keep Vintage or sell for new

Currently have a Threshold FET 10_HL preamp which I love but wondering if there is something better out there

Have been considering:

PS Audio BHK preamp or Pass Labs XP12

Should I just sit tight with my Threshold or move to one of the two I mentioned?

For me the replacements I'm considering represent a good chunk of change and sorta hoping any responses will tell me to stick with what I have.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to weigh in.

128x128phishhhhh4

I was pondering this same sort of situation. (Read the thread on timeless amp question in this forum) My Amp and preamp 20 years ago were around $25K MSRP. So as you, I wondered if there had been advancements to encourage me to replace them or bring them up to the most recent version from the factory. After reading the overwhelming comments on the topic I will remain on course and be sending them in to VAC for the Mk III upgrade. They just still sound wonderful to me and i know they are well built because they still work perfectly after 20 years! VAC is a small operation and known for quality components, I also like the fact the Kevin Hayes listens to everything before it leaves their doors to ensure it is voiced as intended, this includes any upgraded components as well. You may as well consider sending your pre amp out to Threshold and see if they can go over it and bring it back to new? They have an update/upgrade program on their website. This audiophile nirvana can get the best of us sometimes and cloud our better judgement. Good luck!

I've decided to try the PS Audio BHK pre for 30 days.

They make it easy enough...if I don't like they will take it back.

Thanks to all who responded 

To expand on @fthompson251 's recommendation you might want to also consider:

About | vintageamprepair (wordpress.com)

A Threshold tech around when these units were made and endorsed by Nelson Pass.

Thx

Sent an.email to Threshold as I believe they offer the same...never heard anything back

I have heard both preamps and I came to the conclusion that a recapped FET 10 HL sounded nicer to my ears.

It had a bloom bottom end, rounder, better extended base I imagine to hear from live concerts. The midbass was clearer and more foward than with the BHK. Also, the top end seem to be rendered more softly with the BHK, however, to my point of view detail was missing and it was too soft and not present enough.

On the Threshold the top end is a little sharper and more intense than with the BHK, but after recapping it didn’t not bother me. I loved the detail and the seperation of the instruments that were better than with the BHK.

Well, now you can blame me for using a solid state device before a tube unit, but well, it sounded more real to me.