Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

Heard Lupu in Edinburgh many years ago, playing of infinite beauty and virtuosity beyond reproach but only for the music not the crowd. We are fortunate he left us a large recorded legacy. Never be another Schubert player like him.

I had one Lupu lp that I loved, all Brahms, the Second Rhapsody and some of the late Piano works.  I saw him in recital 20 years ago.  He seemed uncomfortable in the large Orchestra Hall venue, maybe just a bad afternoon.  I purchased a box labeled “The Complete Decca Recordings “ and it’s only around 12 discs, a relatively small recorded legacy, and not much for the last 3 decades or so.  R.I.P.

I have just been talking about Lupu playing Schubert and I am listening to another superlative player of the bard of the piano. Grigory Sokolov playing at the Esterhazy Palace and Schubert of such purity and crystalline beauty. He is another one who doesn't like the recording studio and prefers to have his recitals recorded instead. I remember it must have been 30 years ago a recital Sokolov did in Queen's Hall Edinburgh and he was just about ready to come on and the house lights went off and the piano was lit by one solitary spot. one person took exception to this and started mouthing off about it for quite a while when I suddenly jumped to my feet and shouted back to him "you wouldn't be shouting if it was Richter". He sat down meekly and didn't say another word and we enjoyed the recital after that. Sokolov may be a controversial pianist but there is no argument that he is one of the greats.

Nicholas Angelich dead at 51 https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/20/arts/music/nicholas-angelich-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=Obituaries

...at great risk of preaching up the choir, here are some choice TIDAL categories.  I suspect similar availability on Qobuz and other services:

Deutsche Grammophon 120

ECM (label) Classical

Living Stereo Top 50

Decca Sound

Label Focus:  Mercury - TIDAL Masters

Jazz 

Rudy Van Gelder Edition 

Misc

Computer Audiophile 100

More Peace      Pin            (laser ruler for sound room!)