Life of KT 150 Tubes

Auris audio Mono Block -Forte 150 uses Two KT150 for power output for each monos, Very strangely a both amps popped the KT 150 same time. I can vouch it had less than 1000 hours in 2 years as I have NAIM NAC 252/NAP 300 in the same room. I tested the tubes and one is 100% dead and the rest have very marginal life. With great difficulty I have ordered four new tubes. Would any of you know why this would have happened, in the sense bath amps not working at the same time? I am trying to get hold of Auris in Serbia. Even a good Valve tech will not open the unit without schematics and Auris wouldn’t provide one. I am in Canada. There are 2 authorized service center in the US. When crated both amp weighs 94 Kgs.Not easy to ship. I tried with a borrowed set of TUBES , there is no Biasing at all,mA reads 0, but there is signal coming in and VU display lights up. 

Lesson learnt well not to buy equipment that is hard to service. I bought this even before there was a dealer in canada. I tried contacting the distributor Motet in Toronto. They are telling me to contact Dealer in Edmonton 300Km away. He never sold me the unit, why would he have any interest if he didn’t make any money on this unit? The unit cost $16,800 USD. Any advise what I should do?

128x128vishu

@Larryi - Lesson Learnt well, unlike Tube preamp which is self biasing , I agree that swapping popped tubes could have damaged my Other Amp. 

It could be a blown fuse or a resistor, but damn this unit requires an experienced tech to even open it. unlike other tube amps I have seen, this unit is almost concealed. The Auris company in Serbia gave me " fantastic solution" take it to their service center in California, while I live in Canada. Upon calling the service center he said it would be cheaper for him to fly to Canada, as both units crated weigh almost  100Kgs. Canadian distributor spoke to me and asked me to take it to Edmonton 300 Kms away to their dealer. I am going this morning and will keep you all  posted. I once again appreciate all you guys for your input and advise.

How do I post pictures?

@vishu

Really heart breaking story. That is a huge investment… in what should be a trouble free set of amps. Sorry to hear it.

Road trip?

I worked for a Japanese company for a long time. Our office was in Vancouver Washington. Sometimes some of the Japanese would fly into New York and think they were going to take a few days off and drive from New York and see America on the way to Vancouver.. This lasted as far as Pittsburgh usually… one group made it as far as Chicago.

I lived in Edinburg Scotland for a year. When first there I asked a colleague where he lived and he said on the other side of the country in Glasgow. I was aghast, I asked, “do you have an apartment here?” No, I drive… it is 45 minutes.

I lived in Tokyo for a year. Most of my colleagues commuted 2.5 hours to work and 2.5 hours back. I ended up managing two teams there… both in Tokyo… it was a 2 1/2 hour commute each way every day… by train… frequently smashed at 2AM after a business diner.

It is all relative.

I am a novice and know nothing about this (hasn’t stopped me before), but I have an idea.  As several members commenting here seem to know a lot about testing electronics, including tubes, perhaps one or more of them could offer to check out OP’s unit and see what they find?  I don’t know OP’s skills, but if it were me I would be in the dark and welcome ANY knowledgeable help.  Maybe arrange a time for OP to drive down with units and get a chance to hear the helper’s system while the units get checked?  Maybe some local sights to see.  Preferably not involving a real long drive?  (I’m a Buckeye but admit that there are some very smart, knowledgeable Michiganders (or Washingtonians, New Yorkers) that might help in a situation like this).  Just an idea.  Good luck to OP. 

I hope all goes well on your road trip to the dealer.  The good thing about tube gear is that pretty much everything is repairable, and because the circuit is relatively simple, the cost should not be very high.  The exception would be something that damages the output transformers (very unlikely) or the power transformer (more likely, but still not that likely--the fuse should prevent that outcome).  I don't know if the dealer can do a while you are there kind of repair; let's hope that is the case and you don't have to have the amps shipped or you don't need a return road trip.

@ jerryg123.  You've been lucky.  Isn't that nice.  Why comment on something you know nothing about, much less hurl a pointless ad hominem attack? 

You obviously have never had to ship a 100 pound amp back to the manufacturer for repair.  It costs about $200 to either coast, each way, from where I live.  It costs considerably more if you do not have the original box or do not wish to lift and pack it yourself; recently it was c. $360 by Freighters and Craters, one way.  I do not intend to ever ship an amp to Europe or China, but I do plan to keep supporting US manufacturers.