Differences the Project RS2 Transport and the (newest) Jay's Audio CD2 Mk 3

@jaymark and @charles1dad are owners of the Project PS2 Transport and loving it.  I am between the Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 and the Project.   However, did anyone compare the NEW 2019 Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 rather than the prior model Mk2?  Steve Guttenberg reviewed them both and found significant improvement in the Mk3 version sonically.   How close are they now as the Jay's is $2500 and the Project with LTA power is closer to $4,000 (with taxes)?   

fleschler

@snopro 

I ordered on the 12th and was told 7-10 business days plus shipping. The CDT2 will be broken in and the CDT3 right out of the box so it will take a while before they are anywhere close to on equal footing.  I will however give initial impressions.  The first review came out over the weekend in High Fidelity from Poland.  The translation made it hard to follow plus it was dual review of the CDT3 and the new DAC.  His point of comparison for the CDT3 was his $23,000 Ayon spinner.  

I'm sure the Project and Jay's are excellent solid and robust transports but why not think about the PS Audio CD/SACD transport?

I know it's $6.5k but PS will give you up to 30% trade in on any old gear you have providing it's working. You even have 30 days free trial.

For it's price, I know it's not cheap, but SACD will give you a higher level of SQ and it will output native DSD directly into your DAC provided you have I2s input.

I've never heard it but I'm tempted.

@lordmelton 

For me it's because I don't own any SACD's other than maybe a half dozen hybrids.  Secondly as a member of the PS Audio forum for six years some of software related quirks involving this transport took it out of consideration quickly.. Nothing like the problems with the DMP but again still software issues.   The better build quality of the Jays and the lack of software involvement made it an easy choice.  If Pro-ject could get their act together and start delivering inventory then I would also choose if over the PST.  If you're curious about the PST at that price take advantage of the trial period and you may get lucky and receive a "bug" fee unit. Not worth the risk of hassle for me and I own other PSA products.  

@jackd

I understand your perspective with regard to potential software issues. I owned the P.S.Audio PWT for 12 very enjoyable years and initially did give some consideration to the current CD/SACD transport.

I just haven’t found SACD particularly compelling compared to high quality well recorded 16/44 Redbook CD via a good CD transport,. If others have had a different experience, that’s good and go for the SACD. I was told by two Audiogon members I trust that the Pro-Ject RS2T was better sounding.

I have not heard the new CD/SACD transport so certainly I’m in no position to verify. At this point it doesn’t matter, as the RS2T is a marvelous CD transport. As I’ve said previously I seriously doubt that you could go astray with any of the three choices.

Charles

@jackd Thanks for the "heads up" I'll investigate further.

@charles1dad The new PS transport outputs native DSD via I2s so you are getting the encrypted DSD layer.

I have most of my favorite albums on SACD some of which I've been able to copy to my server. It's very enjoyable listening to these favorites in DSD but I do still have 1000s of Redbook CDs and files and stream mostly 44.1 kHz which are all absolutely fine.

Also unless you have a collection of SACDs it's a moot point.

Anyway this px discount that PS are offering got my attention.