Denon DL-103 retipped with micro ridge stylus on boron cantilever & denuded body

As a card-carrying Denon DL-103 fan, I keep returning to this classic LOMC cartridge. After trying different cartridges, no other cart was capable of giving me that unique fiery sound as the good old DL-103.

However, my friend Robert (owner of the https://www.thebrokenrecord.net/ site) recommended I get one of my DL-103 retipped with a more modern stylus. I was very skeptical, because I've tried in the past to purchase retipped DL-103 cartridge (the original conical stylus replaced with the nude elliptical), and it only made the cart sound much worse.

But because I trust Robert's advice, I decided to take the plunge and following Robert's suggestion, I contacted Andy Kim of the needle clinic (http://www.phonocartridgeretipping.com/).

Andy was very prompt, kind, and approachable. He offered me some options and I went with the top of the line mod: micro ridge stylus on boron cantilever & denuded body.

Turnaround time was swift, and pretty soon I had the rejuvenated, retipped and denuded DL-103 in my hands. Couldn't wait to install it and do the listening tests.

The first thing I've noticed upon spinning the first record using the micro ridge stylus was that the mods to the cart did not in any way affect the familiar tonal characteristics of the trusty old DL-103 (previous mods with the nude elliptical did affect the overall character of sound).

Secondly, the sound quality notably improved! There are now so many new details, and the delivery seems more effortless. Any traces of sibilance (which are present with my standard DL-103 carts) have disappeared.

I'm not sure if the dramatic improvements are due to a better stylus, or to a better cantilever, or to the denuded body, or to all three factors combined, but I'd say this mod had propelled my lowly DL-103 into the stratosphere. Such small overall investment for such spectacular improvements!

Andy's retipping services are highly recommended.

crazybookman

"Don’t be comin down off that ladder until it’s done, and done right". The words of a funny but firm Irishman on a construction site.

Whoever did the elliptical didn’t get it right, it’s good you got the gumption after that experience to proceed and got improved results. My friend Bill loves that cartridge, I need to hear his.

Theoretically,(if done and aligned right), improved stylus shape/groove contact yields two nice things in addition to their sound: less groove wear, and longer stylus life.

Better sound, great, we would hope/expect and you got that. but even if it sounds the same, close enough to be as good as, not clearly preferable, you have achieved less groove wear, which will make varying degrees of difference for people.

Alignment is much more important with advanced stylus shapes. Without a few tools and skills, potential can instead be a problem.

On the East Coast we have VAS whom I and lots of people here have great confidence in

Yes, you're right. I wrote in more detail about this retippng adventure in the linked article below:

Another great advantage of the micro ridge stylus: drastically reduced surface noise during playback! Many of my old LPs that had a lot of clicks and pops etc. are now playing almost like brand new records. 

I have seen very good reports made on the DL 103 for a variety of the models, where the Boron Cantilever is used and the Body is removed, I have seen one where the Body replaced with e Carbon Fibre one, and this has been very much liked by the owner.

It sounds like the 'retip and rebuild' Third Party Services are delivering a product that is proving very satisfactory with a not too expensive donor Cart', what's not to like.